Large hive question...

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I recently wondered if the ratio of foragers in a large hive is smaller than the ratio of foragers in small hives? What do you think about this?

It could be smaller for this ratio on a rapidly expanding hive. And a rapidly expanding hive could be large...

This kind of questioning has a basis in that if the ratio of foragers is smaller on large hives then there's actually some extra risk for large hives as winter approach, especially if you've already pulled a lot of honey.

I'm curious what you think about this? And I'd like to listen.

IF the forager ratio is smaller then we can think about how to be careful. But I'm not saying don't do large hives, and I'm not saying anything bad about them. In general if you know where the pitfalls are then you don't fall in them.

Bees are so much fun.

Tigger19687

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know this is from Last Fall but...

It will all depend on the time of year. But I'm pretty sure they level it out within the hive. As in they will adjust what they need when they need it. Like more brood to build up the hive when it is a Flow on.

You want to let a hive be what it wants to be but avoid Swarms. When they swarm you may lose the best queen you have just because they thought it was too crammed inside.

I think I just lost all 3 of my hives this winter due to it being just a crappy year all around here in Ma.
I have honey leaking out the entrance so I know something froze and busted open which could have gotten them all wet.
I've not opened them yet but will next week when it is warm enough out. That way if one survived I can fiddle with it. If they are all dead I need to clean everything up before it gets robbed out.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I recently wondered if the ratio of foragers in a large hive is smaller than the ratio of foragers in small hives? What do you think about this?

It could be smaller for this ratio on a rapidly expanding hive. And a rapidly expanding hive could be large...

This kind of questioning has a basis in that if the ratio of foragers is smaller on large hives then there's actually some extra risk for large hives as winter approach, especially if you've already pulled a lot of honey.

I'm curious what you think about this? And I'd like to listen.

IF the forager ratio is smaller then we can think about how to be careful. But I'm not saying don't do large hives, and I'm not saying anything bad about them. In general if you know where the pitfalls are then you don't fall in them.

Bees are so much fun.
There are pros/cons of maintaining large colonies.

Some of drawbacks of large colonies we have found:
1. They tend to be MUCH MORE AGGRESSIVE [for me personally, this is the greatest drawback].
2. Much, much heavier if you need to move them.
3. After nectar flow ceases, they tend to attack/rob the weaker colonies.

Some of the benefits:
1. Much more difficult for robbing bees to successfully rob them.
2. Easily generate heat during winter months.
3. Not as many dead outs as the smaller colonies.

Hope this helps!