Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya may want to look in the camping dept at a WalMart....they have camping "potties" that ya can use....instead of treking and risking "dirty britches".....they aren't bad and way better than the old "slop jars" used before indoor plumbing existed....🤣....the containers are a good choice and be sure to get the high cube ones.....it will give ya room for extra storage without losing headroom.....:)

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will have to look into the camping potty, lol. The shipping container is a high cube. It is supposed to be 8'10" tall 7'8" wide and 39'6" long as internal dimensions.

I have pips in my chicken and turkey eggs! Hopefully I will have babies out tomorrow morning.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @Larsen Poultry Ranch,

You have probably seen this video or at least something similar, but in case you have not, here is a YouTube video about a couple who built a shipping container home using 2 containers and a middle section so that they would have more space. It is from the YouTube channel "Life Uncontained":

Senile Texas Aggie

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @Larsen Poultry Ranch,

You have probably seen this video or at least something similar, but in case you have not, here is a YouTube video about a couple who built a shipping container home using 2 containers and a middle section so that they would have more space. It is from the YouTube channel "Life Uncontained":

Senile Texas Aggie

We watched a video from them about adding the wall framing and insulation. We've been watching lots of YouTube videos regarding shipping container houses. I'm hoping it goes together easily.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Shipping container was delivered Friday, it looks in pretty good condition but looks like it's had a productive life. Walls and floor are sound, hoping the roof is as well. We bought some windows and a door; we will begin cutting out the spots to install them Saturday.
KIMG7059.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cutting out the spots for the windows and doors is very loud. We are hoping to get them installed today and started on the insulation.

I sold four rabbits yesterday, two bucks and two does. The person wants to start raising their own meat rabbits. I'm very bummed the chunky Vienna marked chinchilla turned out to be a buck. It was a definite keeper had it been a doe. Only five more from the oldest litters. I'm hoping to get them sold soon or harvest if I can't find a buyer.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is from the YouTube channel "Life Uncontained":
I've seen that and frankly I don't understand why anyone would do it. They built "exterior" walls on the inside of the containers, built a sloped roof over everything. Huge amount of work to modify the containers to connect them together with the new floor, cut out almost one entire side of each container, cut out and frame for windows, etc. Effectively they built an entire stick built house save for siding. Seems like it would have been a lot less work just to build that "look" from scratch. I don't know what used shipping containers cost but I can't imagine it would be less than the siding they didn't have to buy.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've seen that and frankly I don't understand why anyone would do it. They built "exterior" walls on the inside of the containers, built a sloped roof over everything. Huge amount of work to modify the containers to connect them together with the new floor, cut out almost one entire side of each container, cut out and frame for windows, etc. Effectively they built an entire stick built house save for siding. Seems like it would have been a lot less work just to build that "look" from scratch. I don't know what used shipping containers cost but I can't imagine it would be less than the siding they didn't have to buy.
I'd rather have stick built, plus building 2x4 framing inside the container cuts down on the useable space by a lot. I think they have to do the framing like that so the insulation has a specific R value for building code.

I purchased this container as "cargo worthy" which is a step down from brand new one trip. It was roughly $2,600 delivered. One trip containers are usually $3-5,000 higher than cargo worthy.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We finished the door and windows over the weekend and started installing the insulation foam board. It's using a lot more adhesive than we thought it would, and some of the walls are more dented out of shape than we realized. Fiance has the day off work so he is hoping to complete the insulation today. After insulation we will be placing plywood for the walls, with boards to hide the seams and provide support to the plywood.

Once we have the plywood up we can start moving stuff out of the house and into the shipping container. I'm hoping we will get this done soon. 6 days to closing.