Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Munchkin is over 15 months now. He is growing so quickly, he's getting taller and he is quite heavy when you have to hold him for an extended period of time. He has 10 teeth and might be growing two more. I think he needs a haircut soon but hubby wants him to grow it a bit more.

He still throws tantrums when he gets frustrated but they don't last long since he is looking for a reaction from us. We mostly just ask him why he's on the ground and warn him not to bonk his head. I usually ask if he wants a hug or to be picked up and he decides to stop his tantrum so he can be held.

He loves stomping in mud puddles and playing in the bath. He's fascinated by how things work, trying to figure them out. He spent a lot of time today playing with the baby gate latch, I'm hoping he doesn't figure that out for a while yet or we won't be able to keep him contained.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went out to do evening rabbit chores and smelled death when I got close to Parsley and Maple's nests. I figured it was Parsley, so I took the babies out, all the hay out, and completely rebuilt the nest with fresh hay. She has 6 babies now, I found one dead squashed baby, and couldn't find the other one I thought should be in there. I need to check my notes again, maybe she already lost it. Of course it was the pretty light colored one instead of one of the many chestnuts. Argh. I didn't keep any of her fur as it was all matted together. Their eyes are peeking open so I think they'll be fine.

I did the same thing with Maple's nests, but she hasn't lost any kits, still has 3. Their eyes are open. I did grab some of Juniper's fur and put that under Maple's kits but couldn't do the same as Parsley wouldn't get out of the way and let me access the box again. I hope the rest of the kits make it.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bunnies are growing well, most of the litters are out of the boxes, I need to take new pictures and start tracking weights. I still can't tell if the chinchilla kits for Willow are Rex fur or not. She's got one opal normal fur.

Our dog had puppies today! I actually was able to go over to the in-laws and helped deliver 3 of the puppies. One of the pups had the amniotic sac burst open and fluid went everywhere. The rest were not as messy. She had 7 puppies, and so far only lost the second born, he just never tried to breathe. The 6th puppy wasn't as vigorous as the rest but looked like it was trying to drink and handling himself well in the puppy pile. I think there's only 1 girl the rest are boys.

The puppies are purebred Havanese, mother in law has been breeding them for years. These puppies will help pay for our new roof.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have heard that they are more sensitive to cold than other breeds. Is this true?
They are small dogs, I think less than 16 pounds and we keep their fur trimmed short because we don't show them, so yes you have to protect from the cold. I haven't heard that they are more sensitive to cold than other breeds, but they are definitely house dogs. They are hypoallergenic, and don't really shed, so they are good if you have a dog allergy like father-in-law.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think there's a tricolor, a black and tan, white and chocolate, and 3 chocolates.
KIMG4834.JPG

Latest posts