Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Realtor says the house sale closed yesterday but it was past the cutoff for wires, so I haven't received my $, I will check again on my break later. The buyer received their keys yesterday, and I think they are going to be remodeling a bunch before they move in. I'm supposed to be giving them a rabbit and some quail as part of the sale, but have yet to hear of when they want to receive them.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was watering my plants this morning and heard something crashing through the shrubbery on the neighbor's property. I wandered over and found it was two cows. I couldn't get close enough to pet them (are you allowed to pet strange cows or is that a no no?), but I was able to give it some grass that was just out of reach on my side of the fence.
KIMG7240.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
House closed and the wire went through. I think I notified all the needed utilities to shut off. It's going to be nice not paying so many bills each month. We are not going to be charged rent by my folks, just sweat equity to help around the property.

I created a spreadsheet to compare the different properties we've been looking at, so I think that will help pick the one to make an offer. I'm hoping we can get hopping on that and maybe make an offer this coming week.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
On Monday night I moved the broody hen to our small grow out cage inside the big chicken pen. She was setting in one of the kitty litter nest boxes, with handle, so it was very easy to move her. I checked the eggs as I grabbed them from the garden and two were damaged so they got tossed. From the size and shape they look like the same hen laid them all. Two were very porous but I gave them a chance, I sort of lost count but I am pretty sure there's a baker's dozen. This hen pecks a little, but not too hard. Once she figured out I was adding eggs instead of removing she started rolling them underneath instead of trying to peck me. Hatch due around the 6/7th.

I have a rabbit problem. Specifically too many rabbits for the cages I have set up. They are eating a ton of food too. I need to find my calendar to double check their kindle date but I'm pretty sure a bunch are big enough to harvest, that will solve some of the space issue. I have two more double hole cages I could set up, but hadn't thus far because the bottoms need repair. I think if I can get those up tonight then all the rabbits will be happier.

Latest posts