Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Broody hen, tucked down on the eggs. I am pretty sure this is a hen that was hatched and raised by a store bought speckled Sussex, her dad was our rooster King, not as certain on the mom. It was either the blue laced red Wyandotte or the speckled Sussex. King had a gorgeous huge comb that looked like a crown, and extra toes from a silkie grandparent.
KIMG7248.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I gave the broody a bath last night, something happened and she had broken egg all over her underside. I think the kitty litter box is good for transportation but not so good for setting. She had 6 eggs that still looked ok, so I swapped the kitty litter box for one of the flat nest boxes. She initially freaked out after the bath but settled back on the eggs after I left. If she ruins these eggs I will probably have to buy her some chicks.
KIMG7256.JPG

I went by TSC yesterday too, for rabbit food but they had chicks! I snagged some two week old white leghorn pullets. I was very tempted by the mixed bantams but there weren't any silkies.
KIMG7255.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Broody still setting. Chicks are doing ok, but need more space. Rearranged the quail some to open a cage for the 5 new quail hens I received from a byc friend. Some will go to make up the 10 hens for the house buyer. I also received 3 dozen celadon hatching eggs from a different byc friend. I'm getting the incubator ready and will set tomorrow.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Eggs were set, hand turning. Will probably candle on Friday to see if they are developing. I'm hoping the celadon eggs will be easier to see into than the regular coturnix eggs.

Broody still setting on her 6 eggs. I will probably candle those later this week. We found a broody earlier this week who had made a nest under a shrub in the garden, I think only a week or so along. This morning she was outside the chicken pen wanting in, so I checked on her nest and something got all the eggs. Just some bits of she'll left. Dunno if she'll continue to be broody or if she is done now.

It's been hot and dry. We could use some rain, or at least a cooling breeze. So far haven't lost any rabbits but I lost a quail last night from the heat.

Getting frustrated with the house buyer, still haven't heard back about when they want the quail and rabbit. I need to get them gone so I can rearrange cages and not have to worry about holding a surplus of hens and keep them alive in this heat.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you contact them and give them 1 week or that part of the deal is off?
I dropped a letter in their mailbox yesterday. Going to reach out again through the realtor if no response by tomorrow.

I'm assuming they are busy renovating, the house had a new roof and it looked like they were prepping to paint the siding. I didn't notice if they'd changed any of the landscaping.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Broody is still setting, so I decided to candle the eggs. Only found 3 under her, so she lost the rest somehow... Of the 3, one was clearly rotten while the other two had veins. If she loses these two eggs I'm just going to buy her chicks.

Incubator is still going with the celadon eggs. I candled tonight and they were slightly easier to see into than normal colored quail eggs. I removed 6 which were clear and put the remaining 30 back. Some I wasn't sure about, but better to let them go a bit longer and candle again.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went and looked at a property on Saturday, 10 acres, 3 bed/2 bath modular with giant covered front porch, a shop, cross fenced, with ag well in addition to house well. It is pretty much exactly what we were looking for but a bit farther out than I'd like. We put an offer in at list price and we should hear back Monday noon if they've accepted the offer or not.

They currently have some cows, chickens, ducks, and two goats. I got to pet one of the cows! Her name was Olive and she was friendly! I really want a cow like her, she was sweet. The cows are moving with the humans to Texas.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What they are hoping for and what they will get may not be the same thing. IMO not to take an offer at the asking price, especially from buyers that don't have a "domino sale" contingency isn't real bright. If they want, and think it will sell for, more why didn't they have a higher asking price to start? Maybe because you offered asking price right off they decided they could get more?

Keep an eye on it, if they don't get their bidding war they will have to drop the asking price. Plenty of people have taken an economic hit due to the Covid shutdowns. Wait a few weeks and offer them 10% less than your original offer.

I do have to wonder if it wasn't on the market, how was there a list price? And if "on the market" means "through a realtor" where the original "listing" was not, they will take a 3%-6% commission hit. Hopefully their greed will be your gain.

Good luck