Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the property purchase fell through. Apparently they are offended we were doing inspections and when they said "the house is as-is" what they really meant was the improvements such as the well (report shows contaminated) and the septic system (they refused to allow it to be inspected) are part of the house (termites and tons of dry rot), and are "as-is". I am finding it hard to believe that people can live like that and not see that it's a problem.

We probably dodged a lot of work and heartache but we are disappointed that we won't be getting the property. Back to the house hunt.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you dodged a bullet. There are fixer uppers and there are derelict dumps. Best to invest in something that only needs some TLC and not a complete expensive rebuild with all the attendant surprises that come with it.

I understand the desire to find a property soon though. I've spent time in those shoes.

A good place will come along, timing, timing, timing.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
As-is IS as-is but that doesn't mean one should be allowed to find out what as-is means before plopping down a ton of money. I agree, you dodged one here. MAYBE you could bleach the well and it would be OK, depends on where the contamination is coming from. Was it even tested for heavy metals and all? Clearly it would have needed a whole new septic system. Could be they are waiting for someone who wants to pay way too much for the land and raze the house ... which wouldn't change the first 2 problems at all.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
As-is IS as-is but that doesn't mean one should be allowed to find out what as-is means before plopping down a ton of money. I agree, you dodged one here. MAYBE you could bleach the well and it would be OK, depends on where the contamination is coming from. Was it even tested for heavy metals and all? Clearly it would have needed a whole new septic system. Could be they are waiting for someone who wants to pay way too much for the land and raze the house ... which wouldn't change the first 2 problems at all.
They didn't present it as selling as bare land. They presented as there "was no value in the home and the home was as-is". They are living on the property-which means the well and septic should be in working order because they are using them. They knew darn well from the moment we started looking at the property what we intended to do and that we were on a budget.

The well should be bleached and retested. We only tested for bacteria because the heavy metals testing takes weeks for results.

I don't know what they are thinking, but now they are going to have to find a different buyer, and I doubt they are going to get anywhere close to what we were going to pay. If they had maintained the house in actual good condition, they could have listed for probably $600,000 + and gotten more than one offer.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like time is stuck in fast forward?? People keep asking how many days left and it's not helping... Still have a ton of stuff to do but I think we can get it done in time, if I can force myself to delegate tasks.

4 more days and then we are done and can relax!

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did it! We are officially Mr and Mrs! 🎉

There were some technical difficulties and a small delay, but we were able to get the ceremony broadcast so the family and friends who were not there in person could watch the ceremony. I think (hope) it was recorded too. The photographer was wonderful and the cake/cupcakes were divine. Now I just need to send off the paperwork and start the long slog of changing my last name. He's worth it though. ❤️