Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We left on Monday, and came back Friday. The hope was if we went up the coast we'd get away from the smoke in our area, well we did but we just entered the smoke of other areas since the whole West coast seems to be burning. Thankfully we were not caught in any of the fires, and we were able to enjoy our travel but it was very smoky pretty much the whole trip.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we tried to look at a property over the weekend, but weren't able to see the parts of it we wanted. The side fronting the road was COVERED by blackberries. The "seasonal stream" had water in it despite not having rain for weeks if not months... The selling realtor straight up told our realtor to bring a machete, and he didn't have any pictures of the property that weren't taken from the road or satellite pictures. We machete'd for over an hour until we hit the second stream bank, it was too deep/filled with blackberries to keep going with the limited supplies we had; the first stream bank hadn't been that deep.

We are going to try to get through the rest of the blackberries hopefully today or at least a day this week, and will probably make an offer contingent on passing the perc and mantle. I don't know how they do the perc and mantle though, so it might get interesting if they need to access the area via vehicle versus walking in.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
The parcel is rectangular, with the long sides to the north and south. The east side fronts the roadway. The neighboring parcels have wells that were drilled between 120-170 feet deep and produced in the teens gpm when they were installed. Irrigation water is available from the canal 1-3 parcels away, depending on where we access; we would need an easement to get the water. There is an HOA, so that might be a deal breaker. All of the lots on this cul-de-sac are 6+ to 8 ish acres.

The parcel is 6.7 acres, with a gentle slope going down from the road. I think there's at least an acre fronting the road covered with blackberries and shaded by trees. Lots of pines, some oaks, several I couldn't identify, and at least two fig trees. Some of the pines are dead and need to be taken down.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
What does that mean for the "rainy season"?
No clue, possibly flooding? Probably happy waterfowl though. They might also be calling it "seasonal" because a permanent stream might have more restrictions. The neighbors to the north looked like they just had a culvert under their road to move the water along.

It's possible too that this is the water from the canal and how it's transported from the canal to the neighboring parcels. The ones I'm used to are gunnited (spelling?) canals or pipes, but some areas of this county just have ditches, although I've never seen one overgrown like this.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we machete'd some more last night, made it past the second stream and to a clearing but there's still more blackberries. I think we'd get clear with another 30 minutes, but we ran out of daylight. I think the streams are the same and we found an island. Won't be able to tell until lots of brush removed.

As we were leaving we passed a couple walking their dog so we were able to get some good info. Irrigation water pipe is pvc and should be in place, just need to pay to allow lock removed. Stream is normal and year round. Metal buildings not allowed, even shops. Pigs are also not allowed but other animals ok.