Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only thing I see good about the short days is that the chickens go to roost early (around 5:00).
Yep, I don't miss having "birds going to roost" coinciding with "making and/or eating dinner".

A pair of oversized overalls, or even coveralls would be super handy to just put on over your work clothes. I have insulated overalls that have side zippers so they can be put on and off without taking my boots off. I use them for work during messy spring and fall cleanups, and also at home in the winter. Best cold weather clothing I've ever bought for staying warm and relatively clean.
I have Carhartt insulated coveralls, they are great. Not quite ready to shower and dress before having to put the trash out early in the morning on cold days? Hello Carhartt!

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
No personal experience, but I have seen pictures of an outdoors cattery, all enclosed with tree branches, potty box and things of interest to cats. Some open a window, or put a cat door in the window, giving access to the cattery. If you made this off the laundry room, you could put in the dog door and an outside human door for access. Your husband is attached to his little PeePot and this might help. My sister keeps puppy pads in the entry of her home, where all her little PeePots go potty. They usually go right next to the pads........
We'd love to have a catio but the deck outside the laundry room is falling apart. I will push to have the catio there when we fix the deck, and either add a dog door in the human door, or a ramp to the window and a pet door there so both dogs and cats can use it.

There are puppy pads down, the dog prefers to go elsewhere in the house. She went three times in one spot, I put a puppy pad there and she hasn't gone in that spot again.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, I don't miss having "birds going to roost" coinciding with "making and/or eating dinner".

I have Carhartt insulated coveralls, they are great. Not quite ready to shower and dress before having to put the trash out early in the morning on cold days? Hello Carhartt!
I'm still waiting for my overalls to arrive in the mail, I ordered straight from the Dickies website. :( I probably should have just gone to Bare Bones or Bass Pro and bought a pair.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are puppy pads down, the dog prefers to go elsewhere in the house. She went three times in one spot, I put a puppy pad there and she hasn't gone in that spot again.

Well there's your answer! Really surprised that it didn't knock you up the side of your head. Duh! Puppy pads! :th Yes, puppy pads, put them everywhere! Yes, new carpeting for the house, a patchwork of puppy pads. I'm sure you could spray them with food coloring for making a pretty pattern with them! Oh! Since she avoids the puppy pads, make a bedspread with them too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's been raining all day, and expected to rain until tomorrow afternoon. So far no leaks in the roof discovered. Overalls arrived today, they fit well and protected my work clothes from the rain and mud. Score! Hubby has said several times now I should get an insulated pair, I'm hoping I get one for Christmas.

The shipping container I converted to the quail zone has a leaky roof. I put out Tupperware and pots to try to catch the drips. Looks very tacky but I think it's working. Birds weren't happy about getting wet, thankfully they didn't get soaked.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not raining today, so far. My uncle demolished the fireplace/chimney in his house and is bringing the bricks over for us for free. He is awesome, and he even had my cousin knock off all the mortar, they look fantastic. I think hubby wants to build some sort of barbeque zone with them.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I placed an order online for bare root plants to be shipped mid January, and two potted evergreen huckleberries, which should ship next week. I'm hoping I can grow the huckleberries as a food hedge, for the fruit and to block view of the neighbors. The bare root plants are: elderberry x6, gooseberry x3, golden currant x3, red currant x3, and hazelnut x3. I'm really hoping I can keep all these alive and harvest some fruit next year. The different berries are supposed to be good for making jam. I'll post a review once the plants are received.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice!
I'm getting several bare root elderberries next spring. Getting your berries and fruit trees established early is a good idea. I wish I had done the same, but we didn't have a master plan and have had a lot of tree clearing to keep us busy in our spare time.
I do have several mature apple trees now though that produce way more than we need in a good year. A little more variety would be nice, but I think now I'll probably focus on berries as they are much faster to get cropping.

Latest posts