Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Husband's family is talking about getting two beef to grow out. Dunno when that will happen this year but it would be the first time they have cows on that property. I think we'd probably need to take the goats before the cows go in. They are looking a little rough, I think they need to be wormed again.

Going to work on the yard this weekend, and check out the bare root fruit tree nursery and probably spend way too much money on trees. The cuttings I got are growing leaves, at least some are. I'm hoping the rest aren't too far behind. Figs, a loquat, an autumn olive, and a willow all have little buds growing.
KIMG0466.JPG
KIMG0465.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
And our pup Liberty has come home with us. Not fully potty trained and we still haven't finished the fenced yard but we are going to try to make it work.
KIMG0517.JPG
KIMG0514.JPG

We worked in the yard today and got a lot done. We removed the frankensteined fence and pulled out the t posts. Then we removed the former garden zone and relocated the trellis structure. Then we started moving the giant pine rounds down into the field. The thought was to dig a hole and bury them so they would compost, but we found termites when we started moving them. Now I'm not sure if burying them is a good idea, or if the darn things would just dig out. Not sure if we should spray them, burn them, or just bury them as originally planned.

The house and deck had some termite damage that we knew about from the inspection but to my recollection it wasn't active termites. Dunno if these will spread in the future or if they have already done so. Need to see if we can spray preemptively?

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so tired. :th

After dealing with most of the pine rounds Saturday morning, I kinda splurged on bare root trees at the local nursery on Saturday afternoon. I ended up getting 16, plus a potted apple as they didn't have any bare root apples. Shortly before going to the nursery, I bought several shrubs and three trees at TSC.

We spent Sunday morning finishing moving the pine rounds and the front yard looks much more open. Still need to figure out how to remove the three giant stumps, they are still well rooted. Then we started digging holes for the trees. We started by hand and then hubby ran to borrow my brother's Kubota tractor and finished digging the holes with the tractor. Liberty was trying to help with digging the holes, I finally had to put her in a play pen so she wouldn't get in the way or wander off. We finished 13 holes and focused on the bare root trees, so we just have 3 left. We need to take down the old fence and another tree so we can dig 4 more holes. I still don't know where I want to put all the fig trees.

KIMG0529.JPG
KIMG0531.JPG
KIMG0532.JPG

Latest posts