Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pepper had her babies today!!! I counted 5. She didn't clean everything up so I had to remove some soiled hay. She should do a good job raising them, but she's such a pain trying to get bred. I really hope she has a good daughter in this group so I can retire her and get a more willing doe. With my luck with this rabbit, she probably had all boys. All the kits should be chinchilla, carrying REW and Rex fur. I want the chinchilla coloring, but I think my other buck is double C, so I'd have to get a third buck or do some line breeding to get a chinchilla litter out of Pepper's daughter.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Paprika (F) - 3
Raspberry (E) - 6
Cinnamon (F) - 4
Sugar (E) - 7
Sage (E) - 6+
Pepper (F) - 5
Toffee (E) - pending

Total: 31+ bunnies

Kind of seeing a pattern with the Frost litters, not getting good numbers, even though I know we had 3 fall offs. In Pepper's case, I left them together all night. I need to find my paperwork and see what his birthdate is, I will probably be looking for a replacement buck this spring.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bunny pictures!
KIMG0687.JPG
KIMG0688.JPG
KIMG0690.JPG
KIMG0692.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's it, Toffee just used her last strike. As soon as her kits are weaned she's gone. It looks like she had 5 kits, 3 were in the back of the nest box covered with a nice layer of fur. Two were at the front of the nest box, stone cold, still bloody with some afterbirth. Not happy with this doe. All of her sisters did great, even on their first litters. This is her second litter and was her last chance.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Checked on Sage's litter and she has not 6, not 7, but 10 babies!!! They were pretty active and none looked too runty to me. 1 opal and the rest castor/chestnut. This means I have a total of 38 kits right now, with 18 of those in the third batch. I'm tempted to move 2 kits over to Pepper, her babies were fat little chunks. Pepper has all chinchillas so they'd be easy to tell apart.
KIMG0698.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hit checked on the animals this morning and went back in the house. Liberty had something and it didn't look like a toy. It was a bunny! :barnie:hit I don't know how, but I'm assuming it was one of Sage's and somehow fell out of the box when I was trying to get the dang thing back in the cage last night. The box barely fits through the door, and I mean I have to push really hard and wiggle the wires. I tried to count her bunnies again this morning without removing the box from the cage and only came up with 9. I'm so upset with myself, and really starting to get annoyed with the half a$$ setup I'm working with.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Second bedroom is finally painted. Hubby sucks at painting but refused to let me do it on my time schedule. I made him do another coat after I sanded off the drips he left from the primer and first coat, so it doesn't look as terrible. He wanted to leave it with the splotchy holiday riddled first coat. The paint should be fully dry tomorrow and he can install the trim.

Once the trim is installed we can setup the guest bed and his grandfather is planning to stay with us for part of the weekend. This should be interesting. The house is still a disorganized mess, so we will have to see how much I can organize and rearrange out of the way before then.