Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you do the roofing yourself?
We can, and we know a guy who does roofing on the side for a living. I bet we could get it done, or mostly, in a weekend. The problem right now is that construction material prices are higher than they were before. So it's going to cost a lot.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I knew lumber and metal roofing was high, I guess that includes 3 tab shingles too. Do you know how many squares you need? Last roof I put on, about 10 or 12 years ago, I found a place that had shingle seconds. The tops of the shingles had discolored granules on them. This didn’t affect the roof at all, as the tops got covered up by the next row of shingles. It was a couple of hours away, well worth the drive. Do an internet search and see if you can find seconds. Maybe ask builders too.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took 3 roosters/cockerels and 6 bunnies to the auction on Sunday. Got 9.50/bird and 14/bunny. Definitely not thrilled about that, but less animals to feed and the hens at my parents house are breathing sighs of relief. I only took bucks, and I am pretty sure they eat more than the does. Still need to butcher the rest of the bunnies. Going into the hot time now, I think I missed my chances for a last litter before summer. Hubby has been talking about making rabbit jerky.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We worked a bunch on the living room the past few weeks, and got the walls done. We prepped the floor last night, should be ready to start flooring tonight. Hubby is antsy to get the living room back together and out of the den. The back and left walls are drywall, the right wall (with tv) is the paneling. Hubby refused to rip off the paneling and install drywall on that wall.
KIMG0952.JPG

We took out the fireplace too, we are going to have a nice hearth and surround. Debating on whether we should have a pedestal underneath so it makes a nice height to sit next to the stove or just have the hearthstones on the floor. They are 2" thick. I would like a pedestal but now hubby is changing his mind. Grr. I think it should be 8-10 inches tall, would be a bit short for sitting but I think it would be nice. The premade one at the landscape place we went to had a 2" hearth stone top over an 8" pedestal. Any suggestions?
KIMG0950.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another fun thing is our pup, Liberty, is now in heat. Poor thing, she's a little miserable right now. Mother in law is planning to breed her mid next week, then we will have puppies on the way to help pay for house repairs, maybe our new roof. So far she hasn't gotten out of the backyard and no other dog has come around, but we are thinking of putting her in the laundry room so she is more secure.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Debating on whether we should have a pedestal underneath so it makes a nice height to sit next to the stove or just have the hearthstones on the floor.
100% yes on raising it. Our woodstove is up about 5", I wouldn't mind it being higher. Better to sit on the edge than be down on your knees .... at least when you get older and less flexible like me. Unfortunately the people we bought from put the chimney pipe in at the exact height that their old (broken) stove needed for a horizontal pipe out the back. Thus we can't use the standard taller legs on the stove we bought and it is only maybe 3" above the "pad".

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ugh, really wanting some sheep. I'm in a FB group and someone posted a link to their farm page. They are up in Oregon/Washington area, and have Finnsheep! The lambs are cute and they sell "flock seeds", their page says they can put together a breeding group with an unrelated male too. I think I would only want a small flock, maybe 3-5 ewes. Haven't figured out the ram situation yet.

I think I need to do more research and gather supplies, but I'm hoping I can make sheep happen in a year or three. Need to build shelter, lambing jugs, sorting/catch pens, shearing stand, etc. Plus build different grazing zones and get everything fenced, and get actual grass/pasture growing.

I think we have 4-6 acres downhill that we want to do animal stuff with, just need to clear brush/trees, fence, and install infrastructure. Might have to get goats on the property first, I don't know if sheep eat poison oak, and I don't want to think about what would happen if someone tried to spin poison oak infested wool.