Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
That happened here too and the last time we had a cat that was mine was before DD2 hatched. That was 26 years ago, I don't think DW has touched a litter scoop since she got pregnant with DD1 nearly 29 years ago. She's on cat #3 now.

There are now 3 indoor cats, 1 per female family member. DW gives them some dry food early to keep them from being annoying. I feed them later and clean the inside box and the one on the porch. DD2 feeds them dinner and cleans the inside box (when she remembers). DD2 gets a pass since she's 600 miles away in Canada.
Mine (two sisters from same litter) were getting overweight when I free fed, so I switched to feeding a portion throughout the day. That caused them to mob me every time I came through the door. My cousin recommended an automatic feeder and it's been wonderful since. It spots out a certain amount of kibble at set points throughout the day and now the cats don't bug me to be fed and I only have to refill the feeder maybe once a week. The one cat is now back to a good weight and the other is still a little overweight but she no longer has fat rolls when she sits down.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like cats, hate a litter box. When DD married, we had to find our cat a home. Our new (then) son in law was terribly allergic to cats to the point of barely able to breathe. Since breathing is required, we found Duckie a new home. I would have an outside cat now, but Paris (female Great Pyrenees) detests cats and kills them. Maybe some day.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
9941.jpeg

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still working through the extra rabbits, butchered 9 with hubby on Sunday. Still have 14+ to go. I really want to try to make something with the hides, or at least get them tanned and out of the freezer. Hubby has been grumbling how much space they take up.

I lost Frost, my first buck this last week. He was a good boy and loved getting head scratches. Dunno what color I should get in a new buck; Frost was REW. I have Expresso, a castor, who I've been crossing to Frost's daughters but I can't breed any granddaughters until I come up with a new buck. I'm thinking might be smart to wait until fall when I will start breeding again. The daughters/granddaughters I kept are castor, opal, sable agouti, dilute sable agouti, and a blue. I'm thinking a black or blue buck? Or maybe I can find an opal that carries self, I think that might be ideal to get opals and blues out of the opal and blue does.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bummer on losing your buck, sorry about that. Rabbits don’t seem to have long life spans.

Good on getting rabbits in the freezer. Do you sell any or just for your own consumption?
Trying to sell some to offset the cost of feed. 6 of the bunnies we just did are going to be processed by hubby into jerky, so I hope that turns out well. One doe (reject from the breeding program for bad attitude and small litters) had a TON of fat and was very large. Father-in-law was impressed with her.

Latest posts