Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised they aren't farther along seeing as how you live in a warm climate. Did they go in late?
Everything went in late. After the freakish record breaking winter storm we had, we had rains almost every day and unseasonably cold weather, nights especially. When that finally stopped, summer appeared with a vengeance. I still haven’t planted all my garden. I might not plant it all or plant more and call it a fall garden.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think I shared this picture from 6/19, this little guy was in my garden! He was evicted with a shovel and it was the second rattlesnake we saw within a week, both about the same size. It freaked my hubby out because I was home alone and dealt with it without him. I threw it down the hill (using the shovel - the head was still snapping occasionally) and didn't bother trying to bury it, something came and cleaned it up within a day.

KIMG1115.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I'd be freaked out by poisonous snakes in my garden too!! We've pretty much eliminated all the copperheads hereabouts and have only seen a few in the past 25 yrs now.

You'll have to take to wearing snake chaps to garden! :ep
I've been wearing my rain boots out every time I'm in the yard now, I know it's not as good as actual anti-snake chaps or boots, but it's better than sandals. For the few days after the snake visit I carried the shovel too lol!

I'm hoping if we green up the area and get it landscaped and de-rocked, it will be less attractive to the snakes and I can worry less about letting the dogs and future kids out into the yard.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Moved some of the plant pots around in the garden this morning, tried to kind of make wider aisle ways so I could walk in between and water the individual pots. I took out some of the pots that had plants die, I can reuse the soil and upgrade some of the plants in smaller pots.

The Roma tomato is humongous, and apparently it's because it grew out the bottom. And without the support from the pot right next to it, is too top heavy to stay upright. Made it a bit challenging and I couldn't rearrange that whole zone the way I wanted to.

No snakes, lizards or other creepy crawlies were discovered, but lots of evidence of vole/mole activity and lots of pincher bugs. I squished a snail last night too.

I was relaxing playing in the garden, almost made me late for work. I bought a cucumber start last night, going to see if I can grow some cucumbers for the rabbits. It will get potted up this evening.