Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
We dont have a pantry in this house. Dh built different kinds of shelves most didnt work out so they are now for tools. But he built shelving in laundry room those worked for us. A pain but better then nothing. Pantry is a must have. Expecially with kids they eat more then the sleep lol.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really want to try dehydrating and canning, but not getting much help. Hubby's grandma knows how to can and it sounds like I might receive most of her unused canning supplies now that they moved down here. Not really going to try to mess with that until next spring/summer when hopefully we'll have the garden in and producing. Although I suppose I could go to the farmer's market and buy some stuff to can.

The dehydrator Hubby has stored in the tool shed, on the loft shelf. I can see it when I go in. It's too tall for me to reach without a ladder and over 25 pounds so I'm not supposed to lift it. I've asked for it to be brought in several times. I'm thinking of taking a picture and sending it to mom and Hubby and say if it doesn't get brought down by Friday I'm going to get on a ladder and grab it. Kind of dramatic but I'm tired of being ignored.

I have goji berries that I can dehydrate, and Hubby's parent's fruit trees are producing. I bet we could dehydrate some fruit for snack, baby food, or even make fruit leather. All of that should store well in the walk in pantry we don't yet have or the root cellar I want Hubby to build.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both of hubby's grandpas and his dad came over today and helped him with the fireplace hearth. They got it framed and then cut the hearthstones on the top to the right size. We have to decide if we can attach hardy board to the frame around the sides and then attach the tiles, or if that would make the overhang too small.

KIMG1296.JPG

Hubby even moved the outlet I didn't like so it won't be in the background part of the fireplace. It will be capped in our bedroom.

KIMG1299.JPG

I went on a girls trip to Ikea with my mom and brother's fiance. I bought a bunch of odds and ends, but the main purpose of the visit was a new nightstand/dresser. I was going to get a little one, but then we spotted a slightly bigger one with a nice top that looks like it could double as a changing table too. One of hubby's grandpas helped me assemble the new dresser and hubby and his dad removed the old massive one. I liked the look of the old dresser but it was way too big to be used for a nightstand. Probably 5' tall? Now I just need to clean a bit and then we can install the new dresser. The size of it should allow the bassinet right by my side of the bed too.

KIMG1302.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hubby says it will take a week for the thin set to dry/set enough before he can install the fireplace. He is going to do the thin set tomorrow and then we will work on removing the last of the carpet and working on installing more of the flooring.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunday. Thin set was applied and the hearthstones are now on, can't move them.
KIMG1306.JPG

I sorted out the flooring planks and relabeled the stacks to prep for more flooring installation fun. Baby didn't like me bending/kneeling when I helped put together the dresser, figure out the flooring, and put away the clothing in the new dresser, so had to sit down for a lot of Sunday. I think it was sciatic? Having issues. I was kneeling by the bed at one point folding socks and almost couldn't get back up. I did some stretches and was able to move again. I've been getting lots of leg cramps this trimester too.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to go by the store after work and see if I can get stuff on the list and stuff I can dehydrate. Maybe bananas? Hubby loves dried bananas. We have some tomatoes in the garden almost ripe, maybe will try some of those as well. Supposedly you can dehydrate spinach or kale or other healthy greens, blend to a powder and add to other food to increase the nutrition in a meal without impacting the taste too much. Might try that too.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Watched another YouTube about making green powder out of spinach or kale, looked easy enough. I don't have either though, so would need to wait to grow my own or buy it. I do have horseradish growing though... dunno if it's just the root that is spicy or the leaves too. Kind of tempted to try it.

I did get bananas, hubby also brought nectarines/plums from his folks house. They smell heavenly.

Latest posts