Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I over did it on Monday, we went by my work to show off the little guy then to two different stores.
I guess you didn't really realize what a toll having a baby takes on your body! That part will get better and eventually the little one will sleep more so you will as well.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes! Buy those concrete blocks. I scrounged materials for several years. I'd drag home used lumber and pull the nails out of it. I stacked it in the garage. I hit the reject rack at Lowes and buy it. I went through construction boxes at work for what I could find. When we bought this place, I brought it all with me. Upshot of it is, with paying labor and $4500 in new metal for roofing and sides, we spent under $8,000 on a 36'x36' barn that insurance appraised at $30,000 for replacement costs.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hubby doesn't want to spend the money on the blocks now, grr. We talked about the garage plan and actually put out stakes for the rough layout of the garden.

Took the munchkin in to the Dr office today and he's no longer yellow, so jaundice is gone. He's at 7 lbs 5 oz now, so above his birth weight now that he's 14 days old. I tried to breastfeed again today before the appointment and I think he latched pretty good on the one side, but he likes to chomp too, so that was painful. Going to try again tomorrow, I'm hoping it'll help increase my milk supply and he'll get better at latching.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yay sleep deprivation! I'm so freaking tired.

Still trying to exclusively breastfeed/pump and avoid formula, so I have to wake up every few hours to pump. Thursday the new breastfeeding shield arrived, I think the brand is Haakaa? It is longer than the basic one the hospital gave me, the nipple part is almost identical to the bottle nipple and best part is that due to the length, when little one chomps down, he doesn't reach my breast. Feels SO much better and he actually stayed latched onto it, plus seemed to have deeper latch and no air sucking sounds compared to the other shield or the bottle. I have been using it off and on since it arrived and I think it's nice but it takes so much longer to feed little one this way. Or he was just playing around and being annoying today. Pumping is usually 20-30 minutes, then 10-20 minutes to feed the pumped milk. I breastfed him for well over an hour and he still acted hungry after. I pumped over an ounce after I took him off, and he ate all that too.

I'm hoping my supply increases again, he's definitely growing. He can hold his head up now and is only still a little wobbly. He's so top heavy though, we have to watch him or he'll just completely tip over in your arms. He's been having tummy time and it's definitely strengthening his neck muscles.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also, he has little baby snores. I took a video.

I'm hoping he grows out of the snoring or it gets less as he gets bigger. I already have to worry about hubby snoring and stopping breathing as he does it, I don't want to have to worry about little one doing that too.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is he flat on his back and snoring? Try using a wedge pillow to keep him on his side if you are worried about the snoring. That's what I did for mine due to snoring and acid reflux.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yay sleep deprivation! I'm so freaking tired.
Are you paying attention @Cecilia's-herd ?? You'll be twice as tired!

He's so top heavy though, we have to watch him or he'll just completely tip over in your arms.
That is how babies are.

I already have to worry about hubby snoring and stopping breathing as he does it
DH has sleep apnea (in case you weren't already aware). Daytime tiredness and morning headaches are common. I do well with an oral appliance from the dentist that moves the lower jaw forward opening the airway. Some people have to have CPAP machines, I absolutely hated that thing.