Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My grandmother made strawberry fig preserves using strawberry jello. I lost the recipe over the years, but was given figs in 2012. I found the recipe on the internet and made the preserves. It took me back to sitting at my grandmother's breakfast table, eating biscuits with a generous dollop of her strawberry fig preserves. Yummy!

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took the munchkin to the in-laws today to watch him while I ran to the store. I tried to stock up on necessities and was able to get a lot of baked goods supplies as the ones from the old house are still mia. Pretty sure they won't be useable once they show up. The shelves throughout the whole store were pretty bare. They did have pallets sitting out ready to be put on the shelves but there would still be gaps even with that stuff on the shelves.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't go to the store often but we have been seeing more bare shelves.
I haven't been out much since the munchkin was born, but the shelves have been fairly empty each time I go. I'd rather get some extra stuff now than not have it available to buy later and run out.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saturday we went over to my parent's house and disassembled the aviary (13*20) made out of wire mesh and pipe framing. Brought it back to our house, we'll try to assemble it Sunday if we can figure out a flat zone, then I can bring my chickens over and have less things for mom to take care of at their house. Plus we'll get eggs! We've been having to bring eggs over from their house or just use the quail eggs.

Hubby brought his dad's bucket truck over and I think we are going to take out a bunch of trees near the house and along the driveway. Once we got home Saturday hubby used the tractor to remove the posts from the old chain link dog kennel that was attached to the carport, we are going to reuse the posts as pull points/gate posts for the new garden zone. He was able to pull all out quickly, the ground was soft from all the recent rain. He only bent two, and thinks he can fix the bend to get it back straight.

We also picked up two tractor buckets of rocks. The rocks were placed around the front yard plant beds as borders and they aren't that appealing to me. I want them gone. I think we probably have at least three more buckets full to move, then the front area will look nice and clean, plus less attractive to snakes. I found a small alligator lizard in the rocks, I'm glad he didn't get squished.

I found two spots where bulbs are popping up, but they are kind of in the "lawn" area, so I need to move the bulbs to a container or someplace where they aren't going to get hit with the weed whacker again - I wanted to move them last year but hubby butchered them before I could. I also have a package of daffodil bulbs to plant and some saffron crocus bulbs too.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
MIL came over with containers to help organize my baking stuff and we discovered a bunch of my flour and other stuff had weevils in it. Gross! Makes it hard to stock up if the food goes bad. Need to figure out a better way to store everything. At least now it's in air tight containers.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to make weevil bread to feed to the chickens or if I am just going to throw it in the trash.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or give the weevils directly to the chickens? Dump the whole bag out for them, they can eat what they like.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found two spots where bulbs are popping up, but they are kind of in the "lawn" area, so I need to move the bulbs to a container or someplace where they aren't going to get hit with the weed whacker again - I wanted to move them last year but hubby butchered them before I could. I also have a package of daffodil bulbs to plant and some saffron crocus bulbs too.
Could you put a couple garden posts in a triangle around the bulbs so husband knows they are keepers? That way you don't need to rush to get them.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could you put a couple garden posts in a triangle around the bulbs so husband knows they are keepers? That way you don't need to rush to get them.
The two patches of bulbs are less than a foot diameter each, it should be easy to move them. Hubby didn't weed whack last year until the grass was probably close to a foot high, it just got started growing out after the recent rain so I think I have a couple of weeks to get it done.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have flower bulbs planted here that I'm gonna have to move. I've hauled some of them or at least their immediate family LOL, around for over 40 years, not leaving them behind now! I have amaryllis and narcissus bulbs, I love the bright red splash of color and the narcissus sweet smell in the yard.

Latest posts