Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Newer Covid strains are not nearly as serious as the original. I think in spite of masks that we have all more resistant to the virus. More serious now are the respiratory viruses that are affecting toddlers. Doctors are saying that it is because during the Covid lockdown infants were not exposed to any germs so did not build any immunity.

Best way to build childhood immunity is to have pet dogs and allow children to play in barn! LOL Younger brother would lose his pacifier to the dog (male Weimaraner who wanted to suck it himself - probably because youngest brother was always sticky). Kevin would toddle after dog and fight for possession of the pacifier and pop it back into his own mouth before my mother could reach him. Very healthy child! :lol: The dog kept getting what the vet said was tonsillitis. I did not know dogs had tonsils, but the vet said this was what the dog had and gave mom antibiotics for the dog.

Hope you all get better soon.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got more tests last night and tested hubby and munchkin this morning. Both positive. I should have bought more than 4 tests, but at $25 for two they are pricey. Hubby is doing yard work and playing on the tractor. I am working remotely and watching munchkin. Munchkin is getting tired of being in the front room and wants to explore everything.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is for any and everyone.... not targeting or singling out any one member......Okay, at the possibility of sounding stupid... WHY all the covid testing? Please can someone explain this to me??? What does that mean for everyone that is doing testing? Is it a requirement of work/not work? If you get over the initial symptoms, what is the benefit to test?
People do not constantly test for all the other things out there.... they go to work after getting over the worst of the flu symptoms... yet could be still contagious... they get colds and go to work.. and giving the germs to others... these other respiratory things going around that many small children get, are they putting on restrictions to retesting before a child goes back to school???? Children can get real sick quick, yet covid is less likely to cause problems in children than say some of these respiratory viruses....

I am not being difficult... I do not understand the whole constant testing for covid ..... it is no more contagious than most of the rest of the cold viruses... which many are corona based type viruses....
You get a cold and get over it.,.. you get the flu and get over it.... you get covid and get over it. People get complications from flus just as well as covid...you can wind up in the hospital too, and people die from flu bugs if they have a weakened immune system too.. What does it prove except to give the gov more numbers to add to their lists... they don't worry about how many serious flu cases there are with this fervor......
Does testing positive mean you are definitely passing on active infectious germs to others???? Or that your system still is showing antibodies to it?????

I had a mild case and just kept on going. I do not wear a mask, I do not avoid exposure to general daily germs... If I get sick with a cold or a flu type bug... I try to take it easy, do all the "normal stuff", fluids, vitamins for immune boosts.... stay away from people for a few days until I am not showing much in the way of signs.
And I am in the "high-risk" population.......

The perfect example is what was stated above... that children are showing more susceptibility to things from lack of exposure.... and they are getting sick and it is serious because they have little or no immunity from the lack of exposure for the last 2 years.... kids pass bugs back and forth and that is what helps to build their immune systems.... they get sick, they get over it...
Yes some kids get very sick and have to be hospitalized... so do alot of adults that have stronger immune systems... but if we don't start to get stronger immune responses, we are going to be at the point of where we need to live in a bubble....

Thanks in advance for anyone that can give me an explanation.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Difference is that now you can buy a test that tells if you have the virus. (Or are pregnant or a host of other things people may want to test themselves for. LOL) DIY medicine. I had to take one before my knee surgery. Otherwise I feel like why bother? Also new advertisements are saying to test yourselves and then ask the doctor for the Covid medicine. During the pandemic the doctor said there was nothing he could give you. DH was very sick with Covid. I I doctored him myself since the VA said they didn't have access to any of the Covid drugs. They were all reserved for people who were considered high risk.

In the old days, :old we would take the baby or child to the doctor. Usually the result was a virus. However, for a very high fever, they would do a throat swab to test for strep. Strep throat (Streptococcus) is the beginning infection of Scarlet fever. If untreated by antibiotics it becomes Scarlatina, then Scarlet Fever. Untreated Scarlet Fever can cause Rheumatic Fever with permanent heart problems. This was a killer disease in my grandmother's day (thus the quarantine signs on doors) but now easily controlled by antibiotics after a positive test for Strep. Infants can contract strep too although it is usually more common among ages 3 through 12. DS1 caught strep at 18 months old, and the pediatrician refused to test him for strep. His reason? Children under 24 months did not get strep according to him. My older daughter had already had strep a couple times so I was familiar with the symptoms. He refused to give him antibiotics until he threw out a raised red rash which my grandmother, staying with us at the time, diagnosed as Scarlatina (the beginning of Scarlet Fever). My darling husband came home and found me in tears on the phone with the obstructive pediatrician. He snatched the baby and drove to the doctor's office where he proceeded to shout to be seen by the head of pediatrics. The head of pediatrics (also the head of the HMO clinic) immediately diagnosed Scarlatina. Two antibiotics later the baby finally responded but for several years we lived in fear of rheumatic fever. The clinic head became our permanent pediatrician.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
“The old days”……… you went to the doctor with a fever and were immediately seen, given medication and sent home. Now-fever is the Mark of the Beast and don’t come in. So explain to me how you get treated for whatever you have.
Step 1. Take Covid test
Step 2. No Covid,
Step3. Call doctor
Step 4. Set appointment

It’s stupid.

We have high jacked your thread, hope you don’t mind.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't mind the hijacking, it's a good discussion. Supposedly if you have a positive test then you are contagious, and should be isolated.

However, sister in law called yesterday and talked to hubby (she is a RN) and said that if he has no symptoms then he can go back to work and does not have to isolate. Supposedly you can test positive for weeks even without symptoms. So this morning he went back to work (works for his dad's family business) and took munchkin to MIL to watch for the day while I work remotely. I still have congestion and cough but no fever and no positive test. I'm hoping they don't get it, although they had it back in August so maybe they are immune.

I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for tomorrow, and I had to cancel because they won't let you in if you've had a positive test within 10 days. They won't even let me reschedule until I have no symptoms. So I have to wait for this stupid cough and running nose to go away before I can CALL and get an appointment, which will likely be at least 2-3 weeks out from the call. Hopefully I don't catch anything between then. Makes me mad.