Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wait...what? You've not yet taught him "DROP IT!!!" ????:lol:
Lol, no. He doesn't come when called and he doesn't drop stuff when told. He giggles and runs away. Thankfully my legs are longer and I'm still faster than he is.

He's a smart kid, just not quite talking yet. Lots of nonsense babbling though. It has sounded like he said "kitty", "dog", "sit", "momma", and "daddy". He also knows to indicate he wants up by putting his arms up. He's getting better at petting cats and dogs, less grabby and more swiping pat motion. He still grabs tails though.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think more people are getting sick because they did not share germs and build resistance during the 2 Covid years.
Bingo!
I listened to Mike Rowe's podcast this morning as I was cleaning stalls. He had Justin Hart on, he's the author of
Gone Viral How Covid Drove the World Insane - wow - I think you'd like it. I'm going to grab either the Audible version or the book. The guy is a numbers and statistics guy really interesting to hear what he had to say in the podcast.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have several rabbits bred, first one is due the week before Christmas. Second and third are due just after Christmas, and the last two are due around new year's. I need to breed the last 3 does, or make the decision to cull them.

I'm hoping she actually took and I'm not just wasting time and feed. Not entirely sure the does aren't too fat but the buck is unproven so could be both. I made sure they had 4 fall offs, except the one doe that refused to cooperate only had one. It's been cold enough long enough that the buck should have recovered if it was a heat sterile issue before.

I feel like I've complained about the rabbits before so sorry if this is a repeat. I'm feeling like the Little Red Hen here, and struggling with wanting to downsize animals/projects/plants since I'm having trouble juggling everything.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for some nice sized litters!!
Even a small litter would be an improvement over no litters. Biggest litter I've had was 10, smallest was 4 (not the same doe).

There's a rabbit show in Vacaville in early January I want to go to, it's supposed to be a Saturday. I'm hoping to get a buck and a doe there, but I've never bought at a show before so I'm not sure how that works. I want to set up a quarantine area but I don't know if I have space to set it up properly. I didn't quarantine when I got rabbits before, but I know I was probably just lucky they didn't have anything to spread to my herd.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even a small litter would be an improvement over no litters. Biggest litter I've had was 10, smallest was 4 (not the same doe).

There's a rabbit show in Vacaville in early January I want to go to, it's supposed to be a Saturday. I'm hoping to get a buck and a doe there, but I've never bought at a show before so I'm not sure how that works. I want to set up a quarantine area but I don't know if I have space to set it up properly. I didn't quarantine when I got rabbits before, but I know I was probably just lucky they didn't have anything to spread to my herd.
Going to the show would be great for you. Since it's in January you've got time to figure out buying there. As for a quarantine area - since it's temporary how about space in your garage?? Just a thought. Though could be a pita with rabbit gear further away.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to the show would be great for you. Since it's in January you've got time to figure out buying there. As for a quarantine area - since it's temporary how about space in your garage?? Just a thought. Though could be a pita with rabbit gear further away.
This house doesn't have a garage 😭 that's one of the things we are trying to add. The old house had a very large garage.

Could possibly set up a cage in the quail container, but I'd have to figure out how to capture the urine and droppings so they don't damage the floor. I need to reorganize that zone anyway...hmm..

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
This house doesn't have a garage 😭 that's one of the things we are trying to add. The old house had a very large garage.

Could possibly set up a cage in the quail container, but I'd have to figure out how to capture the urine and droppings so they don't damage the floor. I need to reorganize that zone anyway...hmm..
Well darn it anyway on the garage.
For catching droppings check out concrete mixing tubs - they're plastic and have decent depth and sides. Heavy duty and basically cheap - $8 medium (5.8h x 19.7w 27.6 L) - $18 large (8inh x 23.84wx36L) at Home Depot here in San Diego - yours may be less if you're lucky.

Latest posts