Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally got pics of the new garden now that it's not raining so hard.

KIMG4998.JPG
KIMG4999.JPG

Still need to put up the end gate and finish the fencing along the middle. By the hoofprints in the mud, the deer have already run through several times.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
The oaks in the first picture are on the neighbor's property. The ones in the second picture will have to be taken out when we finally build the garage.

The oaks have been interesting this year, very strong winds have taken out a bunch of trees and branches. I have one baby oak growing in a pot, but it will be a long time before it will get any size on it to replace any of the oaks we've lost or taken out.

KIMG5002.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally started some seeds after much badgering from husband. Several types of tomatoes and peppers. Only got part of the peppers done, need to do the rest tomorrow, just too tired tonight. Posting this so I have a reference for when they should be germinating, in 7-10 days.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
It started raining last night, overcast and rainy off and on so far today. Munchkin doesn't mind playing in the rain but then gets chilled, so ends up taking a nice warm bath to warm up. He loves water.

I have had to wear my light rain jacket the past few days when I do the animals in the morning as it has nice deep pockets to hold my phone. Well, yesterday (and repeated today) I had it on and zipped up and bent over to grab the eggs and the zipper just popped itself open halfway up! I was not happy but it doesn't appear to be permanently damaged. I guess the baby bump is getting too big for this jacket lol. We are at 18 weeks tomorrow, ultrasound appointment in two weeks.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to try to finish the peppers and any cold weather plant seeds tonight. Plus herb seeds?

I have a nice sage that I've kept alive for over a year now, I think that needs a bigger pot. I also have an oregano that is probably 2-3 years also needs fertilizer and bigger pot. Need to play musical pots, it's like musical chairs only you will probably hurt your back moving things.

Really need to get the figs moved and in bigger pots before they truly leaf out; most of them have grown roots out of the bottom of their pots. I think they were all on only 1-2 gallon pots though, clearly they should be in the ground or at least 5-10 gallon pots. Hmm. Hubby bought 30 gallon grow bags, might use those for now. I think the deer will leave the figs alone, at least until they fruit.

Everything is so green and happy with all the wet weather we've been getting. The Miner's lettuce is starting to get ready to seed, that's probably a good indicator that the weather might be changing soon. The fox tails are growing and look ready to start their seeds too. Temperature has still been pretty cold at night, down in the 40s last few nights but it was in the 30s the weekish before.
KIMG5011.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Made bacon wrapped shrimp for appetizers for inlaws party today. Turned out very tasty, they disappeared fast. Munchkin had his first Easter egg hunt. He had fun grabbing the eggs, whether it was from the ground, or trying to pull them back out of his basket!

Working on boiling eggs for deviled eggs tomorrow's party with my family, plus I'm supposed to bring a dessert so I took the plunge and harvested some rhubarb. I think I should have harvested a few more stalks but I was worried I would be taking too much from the plants. 6 stalks harvested from 5 plants. Strawberry rhubarb pie filling is supposed to be jelling? Consolidating? Not sure the term. I already added 1/4 cup cornstarch, afraid to add more cause recipe warned might change the taste?

KIMG5050.JPG
KIMG5052.JPG