Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does growing a garden count as "baiting"? 🦌 BANG! Tasty! Especially after eating all those carrots, peas, and onions, already seasoned!
:drool

I used to buy a rabbit/deer deterrent that worked very well. It was made with mountain urine. Naturally, since this is California and the product actually worked! Peta sued and had it removed from sale. The reason? Cruel to frighten the rabbits, deer, etc. away by traumatizing them with the smell of mountain lion urine. :somad I admit I do prefer the permanent method! I guess a bullet is less traumatic since there is no residual emotional effect. :lol:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope your husband is prepared to sleep with his cornstalks to protect him little baby corncobs. It is hard for a strong woman to watch a grown man cry over the loss of his little blonde tassled darlings.

DH was very hard hit when the ground squirrel terrorists attacked and ate his baby corn cobs. :hit There was no consoling him. Resulting in acquiring the Squirrelinator. Do they make a Deerinator?

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I warned him the deer were going to eat his corn but he was adamant he wanted corn there. So I bought him his own seeds and said he was 100% responsible for the corn he planted.

I bought my own corn for the garden, but haven't got it in the ground yet. Need the fence to be finished before I start putting tasty things out. I have popcorn, sweet corn and dent corn. I'm slightly concerned if they might cross pollinate but not sure if that will effect future crops only if I save seeds, or if it might effect current corn ears. I think I tried to get types that matured at different times to reduce that issue? Need to find where I hid the seeds.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been trying to keep track of the plants I have, so I bought metal tags, which came with a special pen that "wouldn't fade in the sun". It has started fading in the sun. Thankfully I was actually paying attention this time unlike the plastic tags I had the previous years which faded completely before I could redo the ink.

I bought an engraver pen thing, so am now updating the metal tags so the plant info won't be lost. I have been up potting my named irises, which most have now lost their names due to the ink fading. They were purchased from an iris group at a sale at my local nursery. I dug through my posts on FB to track when I bought them (July 2020!) then dug through my pictures and I actually took pictures of them when I planted in the current pots! So now I have a list of names that they could be, just need to get them happy enough to flower so I can figure out which one is which. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I warned him the deer were going to eat his corn but he was adamant he wanted corn there. So I bought him his own seeds and said he was 100% responsible for the corn he planted.

I bought my own corn for the garden, but haven't got it in the ground yet. Need the fence to be finished before I start putting tasty things out. I have popcorn, sweet corn and dent corn. I'm slightly concerned if they might cross pollinate but not sure if that will effect future crops only if I save seeds, or if it might effect current corn ears. I think I tried to get types that matured at different times to reduce that issue? Need to find where I hid the seeds.
Don’t plant them all at once. Plant at 2 week intervals.

Latest posts