Latest members of our herd

Danceswgoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Today Mickey our oldest goat (4yo) gave birth to a male and female baby goats. We were very fortunate with the two previous births with no issues at all but this time something different happened, Mickey did not want the baby girl at all, she would push her, bite her and tried to step on her. We put the placenta on her and tried to entice the mom to accept her but no joy. She is now a bottle baby and her brother is doing just fine with mom by his side.
I was at work but as soon as I got back I put Mickey on the Milk stand (she's never been there before for milking purposes) and got about 2 liters of milk from her and proceeded to give that to the baby she didn't want. It was in good time also bc her udder was very tight from so much milk.

Why did this happen? Is there something we didn't do? Please I'll appreciate any input.

Thanks, EZ.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Who knows what lurks in the mind of a goat...….:idunno

sometimes goats and sheep (I have sheep) just are ornery witches. Just because they want to. They stay up all night thinking up ways to mess up our day, what better way to mess with us than dumping a baby on us? Uh-huh.....I'll just refuse my baby, heck, I might dump both of them...….;)

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There is nothing to blame yourself for. Sometimes it just happens. At least she wanted the boy. My pygmy twin doelings were born friday. At first their mama wanted nothing to do with the one that was up. All she cared about was the one that was still down. But after I got her up and moving then she accepted them both. When I had kiko's, two of my does gave birth one day apart, beautiful healthy doelings that looked just like their moms. One wanted nothing to do with hers, the other would take care of hers but would not feed it and would not let me get near her udder. I put both mamas in stalls with babies and thought the next day everything would be fine. When I went out the next day one kid was dead, I think she got stepped on. The other baby was fine but starving so I went and bought milk replacer. The following week, I had another doe give birth to another doeling that looked just like her but she was a perfect mom. The kid that I had to feed milk replacer to died a month later and I thought she was doing great.