1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Goat with teeth knocked out? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Latestarter's 2019 kidding

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Goats' started by Latestarter, Oct 14, 2018.

?

How many kids in spring 2019, breeding 5 adult does? These same does gave 10 in 2018.

1. 5

2. 6

3. 7

4. 8

5. 9

6. 10

7. 11

8. 12

9. a number not shown...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jan 12, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Not that ya haven't learned it already Joe, but the stories that are shared by members here are more than words on a page for those who have had the very same experiences with their animals....:).....it always means so much more when ya can "identify" with the struggles, trials, frustrations, and victories....I never was quite in that position, but have sure had animals laughing at me when attempting to help them....or so I thought anyway.....:lol:

2. Jan 12, 2019
    Devonviolet

Devonviolet Herd Master

Good idea, with the OSB. That will keep them inside when it gets cold tonight. I think the weather report says we should have some nice temps, for the next week. Seventies one day and 60’s for several days . . . AND NO RAIN! :celebrate

3. Jan 12, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

Just incase you are wondering where it has gone --- it's HERE, in VA :he Appears it didn't leave all the moisture there (although it must seem that way!). Nope, raining now. :(

I love that little silver gray's color & chrome. She's going to be spoiled. :rolleyes: The divider will come in handy for others coming along with kidding. :clap

4. Jan 12, 2019
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Herd Master

Love the silver! Who am I kidding?! They are both darling.

5. Jan 12, 2019
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Herd Master

6. Jan 12, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

She had some pretty babies. I can just picture you, squished down in the mud, trying to coax a goat out from under the barn.

7. Jan 13, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

I made it! Better late than never.

Hope you made the goat mansion door wide enough!!

I hope I'm wrong on my vote for # of kids, I went with 3 doubles and 2 singles. Looks like everyone else is much more optimistic!

Latestarter, CntryBoy777 and Rammy like this.
  8. Jan 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Thank you Bruce... I have never been able to see the poll results... :idunno Since it's my poll, I assumed nobody had answered, as I expected I'd be able to see without actually voting myself. That is NOT the case. So I just made my guess and there we go, I can now see the other votes :)

Devonviolet, CntryBoy777 and Rammy like this.
  9. Jan 13, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I didn't see the poll until you guys mentioned it.

10. Jan 14, 2019 at 7:09 PM
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Well, well, well... Another surprise this evening at feeding time... There was this gray with white little kid standing outside the shelter. Even though the color wasn't quite right, I thought maybe Blackie's had escaped. Looked inside and nope, both of those kids were right where I had put them. It turns out that my youngest and smallest doe; PB&J just had a HUGE buckling. This kid is huge! He has to kneel down to nurse. PB&J had been filling out a little but no bag development and I was hoping she wasn't bred but was just growing. She has a little bag now and the kid has nursed multiple times and she's helped him. She's trying to be a good mom but her fear of everything makes it difficult.

So after feeding everyone, I went back to work to use more scrap OSB and make another holding area. Now instead of one 8x8, there are two 6'x8'. The kid is in there now. The problem is PB&J is scared to death of me, :barnie doesn't recognize her kid unless it's right in front of her, :rantI was holding the kid while she was eating and even with the kid talking to her and her answering, she couldn't figure out I was holding him. It's like she couldn't find him until I put him on the ground in front of her. She's the lowest in the pecking order so tries to avoid all the other does, who happen to be in the shelter :he I managed to catch her collar outside in the pen to try and lead her in to where her baby is and she screamed bloody murder and ran me in a circle 3-4 times before I could stop the turning and direct her. I got her in with her kid and she promptly ran to the back side and jumped back out and ran out of the shelter. Stupid goat! :rant:somad:he She also is the one who had the huge blood blisters.

Oh well. The kid should be fine overnight and I'll see what tomorrow brings. :hu

RollingAcres, Baymule, Rammy and 2 others like this.