Latestarter's 2019 kidding

How many kids in spring 2019, breeding 5 adult does? These same does gave 10 in 2018.

• a number not shown...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks all... Well, as things go for me, it's all about timing. Kidding season wasn't supposed to start till mid-late March... :barnie You could say I've had a forced earlier commencement. Had planned to have better birthing accommodations established before all this started. @Bruce the 2 that have kidded already are of the 5 that weren't supposed to. The 5 that are supposed to won't start for another couple months. I think I may have another one developing an udder and a second that doesn't have a visible udder but has swelled up in that area and no longer has teats... no idea what that's all about :idunnoHave felt around, and there are no more teats...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Typical behavior for us, we never seem to be totally prepared. We bought 4 pregnant ewes and barely had a "pasture" fenced for them. I threw up a small lot and a hastily built shelter of 2 OSB sheets for the top, so it was small. It took until last summer to finally build a roof off the side of the portable building, 20'x24'.

So your buck had other ideas about all the young girls scampering about and took matters into his own hooves. He didn't consult with you, he just did what bucks do. SURPRISE! And so it goes......

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Y'alls wish is (almost like) my command! Here we go from just moments ago. Today started out typically gray, damp and cool. The sky has cleared to haze, the sun is shining enough to make shadows, and its almost to 40°f. Overnight, when I'd look down there, none of the goats were out continuously. Several came out to nibble a little hay, but then returned to the shelter. First thing I did going down to do chores was enter the shelter to see what was going on. All the goats were out waiting for morning chow except PB&J. Sure enough, she was in with her buckling doing what good mommas are supposed to do. :clap

He's warm, happy, & already twice the size as he was when birthed. I swear, these things are like "air sponges" and after birth, they "inflate" as they suck in air. The first few days, they grow so fast it's crazy! The buckling is gray in color... darker than the silver one from Blackie. And he is gonna be a big boy! Momma still hasn't bagged up real well, but there is wiggle back there and he's nursing from both sides.

OK, without further adieu:
On the left, PB&J with her buckling. On the right are Blackie's two doelings. You can see the two containment areas I made and everyone seems to be respecting them.
PBJ buckling 2019-1-15a.JPG

PB&J with her son
PBJ buckling 2019-1-15b.JPG

PB&J with her son again
PBJ buckling 2019-1-15d.JPG

And here are Blackie's two doelings
Blackie kids 2019-1-15.JPG

Latest posts