Latestarter's 2019 kidding

How many kids in spring 2019, breeding 5 adult does? These same does gave 10 in 2018.

• a number not shown...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
April just got "had" by RJ so right now it looks like first kidding will be on/about March 13th.

I had all the girls, adults and yearlings with the buck and wethers up till September 5th. I had hoped to separate my buck RJ before he went into rut or any of the girls went into heat. I saw him start mounting girls back in mid August, much earlier than I had expected. Anyway, I separated him from them on the 5th and then waited the minimum of 10 days (22 actually) and luted all the adult does on the 27th. I wanted them to come back into heat (a 2nd time after the lute) in mid October for breeding. That time is upon them!

I had planned on putting RJ back with the adults and separating out the yearlings this weekend, as this was the earliest possible date they could/should/would start back into heat after the lute. Turns out I was right on. Weather isn't cooperating as it's cool, windy, damp, drizzly, misty, rainy, gray, dreary... I guess you get my point.

So anyway, I was watching the games on TV and looked out the window to see April flagging her scent at the fence to RJ. He, in his turn, was trying to get through the fence to breed April. So I put on my slip ons and headed out, caught April and brought her around, opened the gate, and let her in with him. He mounted her immediately, she stood and arched her back and I believe that is that! one down, four to go.
:thumbsup

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Dot is now in with RJ. They were flirting through the fence so I brought her to join him. I watched as he mounted her twice. That makes 2 down and three to go. She should be due on/about March 15th. I'll take her back out this evening when I go to feed them. :)

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Curious how come you don't just put them all back in with him or him in with them? Is it so you have exact due dates and breeding dates? It seems like it would would be easier but I can see why having exact dates would be important, if that's the reason.

You have LaManchas, right?

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I have 10 does, 5 being juveniles that I do NOT want bred as they are too young/small. I have two pen areas that open onto the one pasture that is fenced. One being the buck pen (smaller) and the regular night pen where all the does reside. It's nice to have a good idea of due dates as well. The other issue is that I want the kids born during a specific date window. Since they can be fertile over a 4-6 month window, I have to make sure they are only exposed during the time frame that will give me kids during the specific time frame. Right now is the proper exposure time for mid March kiddings. Not too cold, and no bugs yet.

Yes, I have Lamanchas.

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have 10 does, 5 being juveniles that I do NOT want bred as they are too young/small. I have two pen areas that open onto the one pasture that is fenced. One being the buck pen (smaller) and the regular night pen where all the does reside. It's nice to have a good idea of due dates as well. The other issue is that I want the kids born during a specific date window. Since they can be fertile over a 4-6 month window, I have to make sure they are only exposed during the time frame that will give me kids during the specific time frame. Right now is the proper exposure time for mid March kiddings. Not too cold, and no bugs yet.

Yes, I have Lamanchas.

Thanks for the response, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't realized goats could be fertile so long. And totally understandable why you wouldn't want the young ones breeding yet. So will you breed them next year?

And nice. They seem like good goats but I don't think I could get past the ear thing but maybe eventually.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
They can start their heat (on the seasonal breeds) any time after say August, and continue to cycle through January. Much depends on your latitude and weather I expect. My buck and wethers started showing interest in the girls in mid August. There are advantages and disadvantages to small ears, as there are with large ears...

IME with Lamanchas, at least mine, they don't really have a lot of meat on them... :hu If I were to put any in the freezer, it would most likely be as all burger and the ribs. I don't think there's really enough meat on the ribs to make it worthwhile keeping them. All part of the reason I'm considering a kiko buck for next fall. By then I should be all set with doe numbers. 10 right now, so hopefully ~15 after spring kidding.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't realized goats could be fertile so long. And totally understandable why you wouldn't want the young ones breeding yet. So will you breed them next year?

And nice. They seem like good goats but I don't think I could get past the ear thing but maybe eventually.

I thought the same thing until i got some and you know after a couple months.....thats just how that goat looks and your used to it. I ended up loving those little buttheads, the ears didnt really matter. Atm we only have 1 tog and the others are all boer/nubian.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So exciting! :weee We need pictures though....

My first 3 does are all *supposed* (not yet confirmed bred) to be due in mid February, they'll be kidding right on top of each other. o_O But I wanted it that way, I like kids to be born in groups so that if there are single births, they have buddies.

Are you planning on dam raising or bottle feeding?