Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
With 40+ goats, a tilt table might be an excellent idea Babs... for 5-6 animals here, I can't see that expense. Now, when I get sheep too, things (like my mind) might change ;) I'm seriously considering if I should get a cheap cattle chute as well. Problem is, even with a chute, with just me, I'm gonna have a heck of a time getting them moving into the chute and throwing the lever before they run right out the other side :eek:...

So I'm thinking just making an isle with those large corral panels and have the far end closed so as the steer moves down toward the closed end, I can stick a pipe through to keep him from backing up. After I'm done with whatever he's in there for, I can open the head end and let him walk out. Then close it and move the next one down. I can also use that set up to get them lined up to trailer load. Anyone else have any bright ideas? I'm open to anything that might work better.
upload_2017-5-26_20-7-42.jpeg

Problem with burning right now is they're all very, very green... So may have to wait to burn them till later this fall after they've had a chance to dry out some.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
LS here is a pic of those braces....IMAG2354.jpg ...she likes them mainly because it has good support and each finger isn't in a sleeve. Also, here are some pics of our burn piles and they don't have to be head high to burn them either....IMAG2355.jpg IMAG2356.jpg the last pic is on the house side of the goat pen and this is the one on the other side.....IMAG2342.jpg ...this will be burned shortly. Anyway, hope ya have a Great weekend, and sure Appreciate your Service...and THANKS!!

Yeh can mix some dry branches that fall with them to get them to burn and it won't take too long for them to dry in the heat.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fred! Appreciate the pics and advice. Maybe we'll have a big ole bon fire when the grands visit next month :D After I ge them to help haul all the branches from all over the farm to the pile ;)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, not to brag or nothin' but we went upscale. We have ourselves an official burn barrel! :lol:
Yep, a true honest to goodness fire-can!:weee

We have done the piles too but I get sick of them. So I started just taking a little at a time and throwing stuff I could in the barrel. Of course the big trees are still in the piles. But it helps with the smaller debris.

My favorite hoof trimmers are these... I have tried a lot... these are fantastic! If you hover over the pic you will see in the shear blade itself a groove - this is what keeps them super sharp... as the grit has a place to go instead of between the blades. On big thick hooves we do soak them and if muddy or real dirty we brush them off in the soapy warm water... easier to trim and see.
http://www.esteplivestocksupply.com/hoof-trimmer-silverline/

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
No way am I going to try to put him on his butt.
I wouldn't either and that is probably a very wise choice. Goats aren't trimmed that way either, we just stand beside them and pick up a foot. Not sure why they are done differently than sheep.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Went to the feed store the other day to pick up the Big V grain. Found out the owner's brother had died and the funeral was the day before (they never answered my phone calls checking status). He had a bad cold going on as well and though I tried not to touch anything or get close, I believe I somehow managed to catch it from him... :sick Feel pretty nasty with post nasal and congestion as well as sore throat. Hope it doesn't get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.