Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I asked TWICE to ensure if that was the correct cost and was told yes.
I've done that more than once with my cattle & dog vet. Retained placenta; 1 ea injections of antibiotic/tet and having her arm up to the shoulder in a very uncooperative horned cow's butt, plus boluses, all for $100--I thought it was a heck of a bargain.
A good vet/client relationship is hard to beat.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am very curious as to what they gave the goats.
What treats cocci and parasites together in one shot?
Why a shot?
Also find out who is doing their CAE, CL, Johnes test... that is the fastest turn around I have ever heard of. Would LOVE that!!!!!!!!!! :)

Also find out the law for the rabies. Titers for rabies last much longer than 1 year also the 3 year and it really doesn't matter the increased rabies population.
Over vaccinating is really bad and if a dog comes into contact with a rabid animal you need to boost within so many hours anyway.
Giving the vaccine every year gives no added protection.
Follow the law though... even if it is ridiculous. :hide

I am really glad you have found a vet and they are reasonable! That is great. :weee:weee:weee

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A good vet is worth their weight in gold! :clap:clap

I give my dogs Bravecto for fleas and ticks, it's good for 3 months. They get the heartworm shot that is good for 6 months.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am very curious as to what they gave the goats.
What treats cocci and parasites together in one shot?
Why a shot?
As I read it, the shot was just for de-worming.
Vet did tell him "So Dot had a "heavy load" of 2 types of worms and a higher than normal/expected cocci count." but I didn't interpret LS' text as saying the vet gave anything for the cocci.

Don't know about goats, but for cattle, an injectable dewormer is always the most efficient
and productive way to go, with oral being 2nd best and pourons a very distant third..

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
As I read it, the shot was just for de-worming.
Vet did tell him "So Dot had a "heavy load" of 2 types of worms and a higher than normal/expected cocci count." but I didn't interpret LS' text as saying the vet gave anything for the cocci.

Don't know about goats, but for cattle, an injectable dewormer is always the most efficient
and productive way to go, with oral being 2nd best and pourons a very distant third..

Don't know if vet did or didn't that's why I asked... if cocci count is high then you would think that would be getting treated as well.
Some vets do give a shot for cocci and it is effective just not the typical preferred method for goats.
Of course like all things no one is ever too old or too experienced to learn new things and I for one am all ears.

No, again goats are not cattle and the most effective method for goats is oral.
Pour-ons are NOT recommended for goats. Neither by pouring on or oral.

Kind of why cattle vets don't make the best goats vets... very different species. ;)

Edited to add usually the only times we see injectable dewormers used is when a goat is extremely thin and the dewormer needs to be released slowly into the system.

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Man!!....that'd be a dream come true for me, to find such a vet.....there certainly isn't any close, for sure. I certainly agree with ya LS....I'd much rather watch in person to learn than from reading or watching video....I seem to always have questions. Plus, it always seems that people video their Best and easiest handled animal, so ya never see how to get them into positions to do what ya need to get done. Has your DS been to visit ya yet?....was thinking ya mentioned he was coming to visit.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also find out who is doing their CAE, CL, Johnes test... that is the fastest turn around I have ever heard of. Would LOVE that!!!!!!!!!!

I send mine to Sage Ag labs and she runs certain tests on certain days so if I plan it right and get it to her on a Monday I can have all the results by Friday, and a pregnancy test too if a goat needs it. It is $15.00 for all three tests and $6.50 for the pregnancy test.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also find out the law for the rabies. Titers for rabies last much longer than 1 year also the 3 year and it really doesn't matter the increased rabies population.
Over vaccinating is really bad and if a dog comes into contact with a rabid animal you need to boost within so many hours anyway.
Giving the vaccine every year gives no added protection.
Follow the law though... even if it is ridiculous. :hide
It is definitely the law, here in TX! I have had three different Vet clinics tell me that I had to give the three year vaccine annually. I argued that it was overkill and they said it was the law. I have no choice, but to give our dogs the shot annually. GRRRRR!!!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's what our vet charges for fecals. We had them give all of our lambs their shots and it cost $3 each. We can do our own now but I was surprised how low the cost was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts