Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I think ya did pretty dang Good! It does make a difference between "Seeing it Done" in the head, and the old body and muscles "Performance". I have the same problem there. Just a bit longer and ya will be able to "Countdown" instead of looking at what is "Left". I didn't count the total til the end for that reason. :)
Tho, it may cause ya some aches and pains now, you will feel good about your accomplishments while watching your animals in the place your sweat, blood, tears, and $$ provided for them. :thumbsup

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd say 4 posts set plus 12 T-posts is a pretty decent start!!

I've not used a power auger, why does the arthritis and lack of strength in your right hand make it something you can't use? I know my hands and elbows hurt a TON for several days from using the clamshell digger. If I could have used an auger I would have rented one no questions about it. But they don't care for rocks.

Per @frustratedearthmother's comment, the wet clay was a REAL pain to dig. No sliding off, had to slam the digger on the ground several times to get the clay off (maybe not wet enough?) every time I had wet stuff.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The vibration is one thing... and the fact that if you aren't strong enough to really hold it, you'll go flying... The top will try to spin if you aren't strong enough to hold it in place, even with the 1 man augers. Its also a balancing act, if you have the whole bit in the ground, you need to pull it STRAIGHT up,easier said than done. Those suckers can get heavy! Someone who is dealing with a weak hand wouldn't have a chance. Using these augers are harder than you think. But it can do it quickly!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep - real wet is the key. Wet enough that you are covered with the splashes. If close enough to the source - I use the water hose to keep the hole darn near full of water - if not - I'll haul buckets of water to where I'm digging.... So glad I bought a tractor with 3 different sized augers!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ummm........Joe......we bought an auger at Harbor Freight for $200 and have used the you-know-what out of it......and @Devonviolet and her DH have one too.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-gasoline-auger-powerhead-with-6-in-bit-63022.html

upload_2017-2-15_21-0-24.png

Status
Not open for further replies.