Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So I haven't been eating much of late and tonight I had a serious craving for a pizza. 10 pm I head out to Dominos to get a 3 topping carry out for $7.99... See a number of cops on the road going and have been being extra careful driving since my 2nd warning in less than 6 months. So, coming home, being very careful, car approaches at speed higher than mine from the rear in passing lane then slows down to mirror my speed and I think to self "self, there's NO WAY that ISN'T a cop and since it slowed, there's no way you AINT getting stopped... AGAIN!" and sure enough, bubble gums light up and here I go again...

So I pull over and she comes along side and says "I smell pizza, just get yourself some dinner"? I say, yes, I sure did, what did I do this time... She asks for my license and insurance and tells me my license plate lights are on but the lenses are cloudy so she couldn't read my plate from 50 yards back... And that my upper brake lights aren't working either. :rant I told her I just replaced both license plate bulbs when I found out on the warning I got a month ago that they weren't working and had replaced the upper brake bulbs at the same time. I then showed her the recent damage from the wire fencing and explained the rear windscreen had just been replaced and that it had also broken the light but I haven't had time to get that fixed yet and how the 2 tires were brand new at $500 because of the torn sidewall I got getting the rear window replaced. I told her this is like the 3rd warning I'll have received in the last 6 months since moving here and maybe I should have stayed in CO. I told her I just can't believe this... I can't catch a break!

She said not to worry, it would just be a warning and wouldn't cost points or hurt my insurance. That's all well and good but the next time I get pulled over for anything, the cop is going to look and see 3 warnings in the past 6 months and there's no way I'll get a 4th... I can't afford this crap. Damn!

So yesterday was off and on clouds, fog, sprinkles, and I didn't go out to work in the mud created on Monday. Today, the weather was beautiful... sun shining, cloudless blue skies with light breezes, and I woke up with my hand and wrist so sore I couldn't close my hand... Hoped I'd be able to get something accomplished tomorrow before I hit the road tomorrow night. But NOW, I have to get the truck over to the dealership and get that friggin rear upper brake light and the license plate lights fixed... I gotta say, I see some real crap heaps driving around in this state and I've now received 3 warnings for minor stuff not working and it's got me spooked.

HomeOnTheRange

Golden Herd Lurker
Reaction score
Ouch! Sorry about the "cop stop". Of course it sounds like you talked a good talk! Of course this is coming from someone who drives in a state where license plates are optional, you are lucky if the parts stay on the car in front of you and if you have double digit DWIs, no problem, you get to keep driving on our streets.

Hope your hand gets better so you can get back to having fun with the fence building!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Geez LS, sounds like you should just stay home from now on!
That's the pits! We've been in TX since June of 2014 and I haven't been stopped once.

Sorry you have been stopped so many times for picayune little things. I blame you for thinking you might have been better staying in Colorado. But, please don't go back, DH & I are glad you are here!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm tellin' y'all... I'm seriously starting to get a complex here... Thinking I should just stock up and become a hermit on my property. I'm feeling like I've got a police target painted on me somewhere. It's been a long, long time since I've had traffic stop issues and I'm evidently making up for lost time. :(

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goodness, even in CA I don't get stopped for stuff like that. I drove around with a taillight our for months and never got pulled over. I got stopped for tags that hadn't been put on but that is it in probably the last 20-30 YEARS. Are you sure you don't have a "stop me" sign on there that you don't see.?

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Late, you've swapped to TX plates already right? I will say this, I had Colorado plates when I moved to TX and I got stopped all the time. For the most minor BS infractions. "Your trailer was weaving" and one was because I slowed down and moved into the passing lane for a cop that had his lights on stopped in the right lane - pulled me over because I was acting suspicious slowing down for him and moving over?!?! They would always ask extensively about whether I had weed in the car (which I have nothing against, but it isn't my thing) and then finally let me go after running a K9 over my vehicle.

I changed those plates to TX plates and never got stopped again the entire 3 more years I lived there. That's something I like about Oklahoma, it's like HomeOnTheRange said, license plates are optional, and if it can start and move on it's own, you can drive it. Arizona is the same way outside of Tucson and Phoenix. DH's truck doesn't even have a muffler (we deleted it, left the cats and resonators) and it's loud and nobody bothers him, mine came without a muffler and it blows smoke and nobody bats an eye. Hell, I even dumped a trailer in an intersection and nobody flipped out, just a bunch of people ran over to help us lift the tongue back on the truck, lol.

I like TX, but their vehicle inspections and all can take a hike.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
pulled me over because I was acting suspicious slowing down for him and moving over?!?!
That is pretty sad. In fact that is the LAW here, you MUST move to the passing lane if it is safe to do so and slow down if you can't move over.

I wonder if LS is in an area with overzealous cops. My wife got pulled over near our old house for a rear marker light being out. I had to take her car to the police station after I replaced the bulb to prove it was done.If it had been me in my car I would have made the cop sit there while I replaced the light since I had 2 spares in the console. I've seen that cop in the same place many times.

But I see people with registration stickers that expired months and months ago all the time. Saw one a couple of months back that expired 2 years prior. Of course it is easy to pick people up at night for a piddly light issue. And then there are the people with the plastic license plate covers that are so cloudy you can't read the plate in the daytime let alone at night. But they aren't getting tagged or they would remove/replace it.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if you have a truck similar to someone they're after. My cousin, who is a cop, said if he wants to pull you over, he'll find a reason. Of course he was talking about spotting someone with warrants in the car, but still.

If you wanted overzealous police, you could have just stayed in New England. Maybe they heard you were talking bad about cops on BYH lol

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sucks LS, may be ya need to get some bumper stickers on your truck....farm related, or local specific like TSC or local feed store. Remember they are cracking down on illegals so any reason they have to check ya out, they will. They are trying to add to the budget too. Don't let it deter ya tho it'll pass as they become aware of you there. Sorry about your hand and hope it gets better for ya...will probably not enjoy holding the steering wheel either....be Safe and Careful on your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts