Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
TX is really strict like that. My mom said she got a ticket in the 80's for not having a TX license within 10 days of living there, except she didn't live there. She went back to AZ and now avoids going to TX at all costs because she failed to appear for that ticket and said it would be her luck they'd still get her for it, lol.

It really depends on the cops though. I've been pulled over in several states and always let go with a "slow down" or "next time, make a complete stop will ya?". Those I deserved for sure, and didn't get tickets from them. I just do my best to be nice about it, because really if they caught me doing something like speeding, there's no point in trying to lie about it. I was confused about the others where I could see no reason to be pulled over, and given a BS reason for it.

I really think Colorado plates make you a target though. TX still has some super strict laws on marijuana, it's not even legal for medicinal use there yet.

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Next time try this:
"Sir, do you know why I stopped you"

"Because catching real criminals is too hard?"
:hide

Or get one of these:
original.JPG

s-l300.jpg

Or at least one of these.. tho it can be a double edged sword, identifying you as an immigrant.
bsborn-7.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol:

I suspect the TSTA window sticker is his best bet.

@AClark I'm pretty sure he has it registered in TX now so he wasn't pulled over for the easy tourist dollars.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
And the great thing about Texas tags is that every cop in every state thinks we all run guns and drugs. :he And they will pull us over for any reason so they can treat us like criminals. :somad

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
And the great thing about Texas tags is that every cop in every state thinks we all run guns and drugs. :he And they will pull us over for any reason so they can treat us like criminals. :somad
I don't have that problem. All LEO and all were on my property. I sat and talked with them all afternoon. DPS, Sheriff Dept from 2 counties, County constables, DEA, TX Rangers.
dea_006.JPG

dea 0231.jpg

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've met some of the local police here, reservation police and the local sheriffs dept. All nice folks. Just had the SO over the other day because my neighbors water main burst and they couldn't get in touch with him - too bad I wasn't any help because I've only seen the guy once and it was dark out. Best I could do for them was say "hey one of his cars isn't there, that's probably why he's not answering the door" - the down side of being a not nosey neighbor I suppose.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
<sigh> my saga continues... my 14 hour drive back turned into about 21... 2am this past morning, coming through SE Colorado I met up with a 5-6 mile patch of black ice. Nice dry pavement before and after... and it was windy. Broke traction and couldn't get it back. Did several 180's back and forth in both directions followed by a sideways romp down in to the north bound ditch. Thought I was going to roll but after the tires hit dirt I was able to get some directional control and slammed the drivers side into the up-slope embankment and the barbed wire fence there (pointing south). No physical harm to me, daughter or her dog. After we came to rest I put it in 4 wheel drive and drove back up out of the north bound ditch and crossed over to the south bound side break down lane. Tire was completely off the rim on the right front and flat on the right rear. Called the insurance company to start a claim, called 911 and got a sheriff deputy out there who called a tow from the next town (Springfield 20 miles south). I tried jacking up the front but couldn't get the rim to start lifting so thought maybe I had broken the axle. Turns out I just didn't go high enough. If it had only been one flat, I would have changed it and drove on.

The deputy wanted me to stay till a state trooper got there. 20 yr old Statey had me fill out the accident report and then wrote me a ticket for careless driving :ep:th:he:somad:rant I asked him if he was serious and then made it quite clear that I though that was complete & utter bull$hit. I bent a couple of T posts but no other people or vehicles were involved and I wasn't driving carelessly... It's called an "accident" for a reason. So to add insult to injury, I have a $170 ticket. So talking to the tow driver, we passed a DOT plow/sand truck headed to the location where the black ice was and I said I'd fight it if I didn't have to drive 600 miles to be in court. He recommended I call the DA or Asst DA and ask them to drop the ticket. I have rental car coverage but where this happened there isn't a rental car place within 150 miles. So I asked the tow guy If he happened to have a used tire same size that I could buy. Ended up he dropped me (and truck with daughter and dog) at the town tire store and told me the guy is typically there on Saturdays. I decided that if the tires weren't ruined and could be re-mounted I could drive home and get the repairs done here. So we sat in the truck for a couple of hours waiting on the tire store to open. Didn't make sense to wake up the motel clerk across the street and pay for a 2 hour stay.

So, the one tire (brand new on the rear) was fine, got re-mounted and re-installed. Had to mount the spare on the front as the front tire was trashed. Luckily I have the one tire left from when I replaced the other two last week so I'll bring that over and get it mounted and installed on Monday so the 2 front tires will be same make/model/wear. Then I guess I'm gonna be driving a rental car for a while so the truck can get repaired. Needless to say, I'm beat... Showered & time for bed very shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.