Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Really glad to hear BJ is doing so well. I can't imagine being restricted like that for such a long time... I can understand why he'd be going bat $hit with wanting to do SOME thing! As for when can we do this get together... well, this coming Sunday is supposed to be like 80 degrees and partly sunny ;)

So I was remiss the other day when posting. I'll claim residual tired from the long day trip. I told about those eggs Fred gave me but never posted a pic of them. So, here ya go:

duck eggs.JPG

Though they look approximately the same size, they aren't. The duck eggs are a bit larger and in a couple of cases, substantially larger. I just had me some bacon and duck eggs (over easy) for breakfast and swapped the eggs left so all the duck eggs are in one carton and I can't close it... they're too big. Now, to crack the egg with a butter knife takes a little larger "strike", and the interior membrane is a bit tougher than a chicken egg. The yolk is larger & thicker/more solid, and the white is much firmer. I get it now why I was told to whisk the eggs before mixing them in any baking recipe. Texture wise, I found them "smoother/richer/thicker" than hens eggs but delicious! :drool The taste was just a bit different as well, but not by much and it didn't turn me off. So Yep Bruce, you had it pretty much right on. I have to be honest, as of right now without trying them in baking (which I don't do often anymore) it's not enough to make me want ducks, but who knows, that could change. Ducks are just so messy... :idunno Wonder what goose eggs taste like? ;)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably settle for just chickens too. They are much easier to tend to and they usually lay in a nest, ducks don't and having an "Egg Hunt" everyday can be a bit of a task, tho they all lay by 7:30-8 every morning and the chickens lay thru the day. I like the ducks, but on some days it would be nice to not have to deal with the Wetness. I could keep them dry docked, but to me it just wouldn't be right...they truly love their water. If the pond wasn't as far away as it is, I would consider putting them over there. I don't think they would last very long over there with the predators we have here. I do think it will get much better when they will be able to roam inside the fence and spread the mess over a much larger area.:)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love to watch the ducks, especially a hen & ducklings following. :love But have none, want none...no pond now.
As to eating the eggs, I am not a big egg fan. So, stronger is not my thing for taste. In fact, while I like my chickens and absolutely love to collect eggs, then I'm "over it". Keep trying to convince myself to eat more of them -- healthy, available, etc. -- but unless I have a lot of onion, green pepper, salsa, cheese, ham or such to put into that well done scramble, not enthused. NO over easy for me. Now, a good quiche I love, as well as bread pudding, etc.

LS, your turkey sure looked good -- made me think "cook one". I do cook them other than holidays. Not only healthy and can be used in many ways, it's a pretty inexpensive meat to buy. I've raised a few, they can really, really eat! Large to house & handle to butcher. I'll probably just keep buying the 3 or 4 a year that I cook. :rolleyes: Would love to get one of the wild ones we have so many of around here -- just for a try.

Glad your trip went well, your truck repairs look good. Yep, an RV is a great way to travel, gas excepted. But you can be comfy and stop whenever. DH & I made several cross country trips in ours and enjoyed it more than hotels. But, we were doing a "see everything we were taught about in the history books" type travel. Lifetime memories. Fortunately, before so much of it is/has been destroyed in some way. Grand Canyon and Yellowstone are my favorites. I would go back without hesitation.:old

Status
Not open for further replies.