Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Now this is what "community" is all about. It's not just a proximity thing, it's the sharing, the practical closeness. Swapping visits, meals, recipes, crops, even dirt. I really love our BYH community. :love

...and goats. Let's not forget swapping goats!!! :D

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now this is what "community" is all about. It's not just a proximity thing, it's the sharing, the practical closeness. Swapping visits, meals, recipes, crops, even dirt. I really love our BYH community. :love

...and goats. Let's not forget swapping goats!!! :D
Girl, you got that right! All of my goats came from BYH members! :hugs

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Man that makes me feel left out, all the way out in Oklahoma, by myself, and when we were in Texas, we were in the wrong part of Texas! lol

Glad Late is doing alright, I haven't been on lately. Chores catching up on me and good weather giving me more reason to be outside!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't feel bad @AClark, I am all the way out here in CA. Nobody comes to CA. :(

@ragdollcatlady I have heard good things about geese, but the problem is I am afraid of them. We used to go feed them at a local pond when the kids were small and I would keep my distance and practice seeing how far can I throw bread. Those things can be mean.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, I was looking at the back pasture yesterday afternoon and it was getting to be almost a foot tall and the weeds were getting ready to flower and set seed. I haven't been able to sleep the past 2 nights so last night I did some research to buy a lawn tractor. Looked at several different brands and settled on a Troy-bilt, 50 inch front engine riding mower. I was concerned that a zero turn wouldn't be able to tow like a pressure sprayer or cart etc. Also, the zero turns were substantially more expensive: http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/super-bronco-50-xp-lawn-tractor
13WQA2KQ011_product_medium.jpg

As soon as I got it home I gassed it up and got started. Man, I am very impressed! This thing cut through everything with no bogging down at all. Sticks up to 3-4" in diameter (OK, some were a "bit" bigger :hide) were no problem either, it chopped them right up into mulch. The turn radius is so tight, it's almost a zero turn mower. And the one thing I like probably the best is you don't have to disengage the blades to back up! :celebrate Also, it's an electric engage rather than the standard huge lever that mechanically tightens the belt and pulley system. This thing is leaps and bounds above what I was using in CO. I am so glad I left it there and got this new one. So in about 3 hours time, I got about 1/2 the back pasture done and about 3 laps around the front pasture, then the rain started and I had to stop. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 70s so hopefully it will dry out enough that I can get the whole thing done and finished.

The only glitch it had was the left front mower deck wheel kept loosening and I had to tighten it back down twice. The 2nd time I really put some torque on it to hopefully keep it from backing off again. No biggie, it's a powerful machine and the bumping around and vibrations can cause nuts and bolts to loosen. I just have to check everything over and make sure anything that comes loose gets tightened back up.

Looking forward to meeting up with goatgurl and her sister over at devonviolet's place on Monday and I guess Baymule will be there as well. Gonna be a great get together! We're gonna do the disbudding 101 course and do a meal. I'm bringing dessert. No idea what I'll do yet, depends on how much time I have this weekend to put something together, or just pick something up at the store (yeah, I know, not very personal). We'll see. I plan to have a very busy weekend building stuff.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your new TroyBilt looks nice! I must say, though, it looks a lot like our Husqvarna, except for the color, of course (ours is bright orange, not black). It has a 50" mowing deck and has a 24HP engine. We really like ours! It cuts like a dream and makes child play out of pulling our big yard wagon full of sod, out to the back pasture. :clap The only thing we wish they had done differently, is to allow more leg room getting in and out of the seat. We both have long legs, and it is almost impossible to get out, of the seat, without jamming our right knee into the engine housing. I guess the designers had short legs. :he

Yes, we are looking forward to having @Baymule with her DH, and @goatgurl, along with her sister, over, on Monday, for Disbudding 101, as well as food, fun and fellowship. :celebrate

Status
Not open for further replies.