Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I told Joyce that one thing is for sure....we will never go hungry here.....just sit on the porch and wait to see what shows up for Dinner.....squirrel, dove, turkey, deer, or fish...may even have to try some BBQ coon....never leave the house....except to gather or in the case of fish, catch em...:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Almost all US beef is 'pasture' or grass raised.
Then, finished on grain or some other feed.

I've had some beef that was "100% certified grass raised and grass finished".
I didn't care much for it, especially that yellow fat.
I asked Farmer Brown (yeah, for real) if the Porterhouse I bought 2 weeks ago was grain finished or not. Their banner says "grass fed". He said no, they don't grain their animals at all, grass only. They slaughter at about 1,000 pounds, 1.5 years of age. Buys 500 pounders late summer, slaughters the following fall. Cheaper to carry smaller animals through the winter though they are growing all the time.

There was no yellow fat on this steak and it was nicely marbled, very tasty. He did say the meat can taste different depending on what is growing in the pasture but he's been at it for 15 years and has worked out all the non "desirables" that can lend an "off" taste.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to do an oil/filter change and replace the cutting blades on the lawn tractor. Bought it at Lowes so figured they'd have the filter and blades. They had the filter but didn't have the right blades. I checked online before I went to make sure I got the right item and there are 2 sets of blades that state they are for 50" decks, but the reviews stated multiple times that they do NOT fit the 50" riding mower, only the zero turn mower. They are 1/2" too long. Of course these are the 2 sets of blades that Lowes carries. :he So just on a whim I stopped at Home Depot and though they don't carry Troybilt, they do carry cub cadet and their blades are an exact match, right down to part number:clap Bought a set of 3 for $51 & change where the singles list for ~$22 each.

I love doing initial oil filter changes... seems the manufacturer always puts the filter on with an air impact wrench and they're a royal b#tch to get off. :rant So I ended up using a stillson wrench to get it started. At least it didn't shred the filter... I've had that happen before. It took almost 1/2 an hour for the oil to drain as well... Poorly designed drain system. But all that said, the oil & filter has been changed.

Changing the blades was another evolution... I jacked up the front end as high as my hydraulic jack would get it, then threw 2 ratchet straps over a roof truss and through the front bumper and alternately tightened them till I had the front end high enough to comfortably work underneath it. (I did this after draining the oil and before re-filling it) Each ratchet strap was over a different truss and I evened the strain before I went under to work. I figured that was sufficient back up for safety purposes. I had to use a pipe to extend a breaker bar to get those nuts loose. I actually found that rather strange as I had a repair shop replace the blades once before so they shouldn't have been on that tight. In addition, the blades were completely trashed, and I've hit many fewer items since the blades were (supposedly) replaced. I kinda wonder if I didn't get taken by the repair shop. :confused: they were so dull I imagine I was beating the grass to death rather than cutting it. The up-sloped rear behind the cutting edge was eaten completely through on 2 of them and gone on the third. Needless to say I won't be using that repair shop again. Might explain why I had to go over each pass twice. I'm very interested to try it out tomorrow and see the difference. If I can cut in one pass like when it was new it will cut my mowing time in half :celebrate

Texted my son and verified they'll be here around dinner time on Tuesday the 18th. Guess I'll spend the next few days cleaning house and getting ready for them. I really wish I could afford to hire weekly cleaners. I'd be embarrassed for them (hired help) to see the present shape things are in though... I'd have to clean before they got here :hide Kinda like washing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher...:tongue

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
By the sound of it, the mowing should go much, much smoother for ya with the new blades.....sounded like ya got a good deal on them too. Something that oughta help make your blades last longer, is.....ya won't be having to cut thru those same chunks of wood that damaged the old pair...:)
About the cleaning, I totally understand it, and have stood in the same shoes.....I was just thankful it was only a 60' trlr that I was in....a whole lot less to have to clean....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Someone over on BYC pointed me toward a different blade 2 years ago. I have to check but they look like the Gator blades. Clearly much better than the OEM for my tractor and they are a lot cheaper. Echoing @greybeard, they do last longer, I think they are made of "better" steel or something.

They don't seem to be carried here by Lowes, HD, ACE, Aubuchon or Sears. I got mine online.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'll check them out for the next change. Thanks for the pointer.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Need to change my blades BUT....will cut another area that has crap growing. Yep, may need a 2nd mow but, those on will get it down and help to not kill new ones first cut out. There some chunks/chips but they ARE still sharp enough to cut. I will rake the stuff before another cut.

I have GOT to switch out the backhoe & bush hog. :eek:

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can get a neighbor to help you swap it out? Just grasping straws here... Maybe dial 911 and get the fire department to help? (JK! Don't do that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.