Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got up early yesterday and worked all morning, knocking off at 11:30. Took showers and became comatose in recliners. YOU went out and worked in the afternoon heat! You gotta be careful with that......we don't want you falling out and becoming fire ant bait.

Looks like you've got the morning off. It's sprinkling here, but the red, yellow and orange on the radar is going over you and @Devonviolet. We are up early to go battle the green briars, don't know if the sprinkling is going to turn to rain or not.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... we got rain. Figured I'd check radar to see if I could postpone goat chores till after it stops but it's backed up for several hours, so, out in the rain I'm gonna go. From what I'm seeing it extends to south of I-20 so you're gonna be in it (as will DV) for quite a period as well. Look at the bright side... no drought here :thumbsup Oh well... time to go get wet. (Already an hour later than norm :hide).

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know it is really funny that the goats won't get in the rain, but they sure don't care if you wish to or not.....they will scream at ya letting ya know you are Late with the pellets..:)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know it is really funny that the goats won't get in the rain, but they sure don't care if you wish to or not.....they will scream at ya letting ya know you are Late with the pellets..:)
Boy, isn't that the truth!

Falina watches the back door like a hawk! If I quietly open the door to let the cats in, she is hollering like she's dying!!! :ep :eek:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what I'm seeing it extends to south of I-20 so you're gonna be in it (as will DV) for quite a period as well. Look at the bright side... no drought here :thumbsup

Our ground, here, was starting to get 1/2" cracks. So, I'm guessing all this rain is a good thing.

Right now, we have 1-1/2" in the rain gauge with thunder & heavy rain. The animals are going to have to wait a bit.

DH didn't sleep well last night. He took one look at the radar & went in to take a nap. :th When it slow down a bit, I will go in and wake him up.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still raining. I woke up at 3 AM, we got up at 5 AM, intending to work outside. Not. Farrier was coming at 1:00 to trim horses hooves, he's still out working cows-in the rain. Poor guy. We'll set appointment for next week.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I rarely sleep at night, just doze off and on. I too was up around 3:30 and the rain had just started. I didn't even try to grain the goats this morning... I milked Dot & did get CC her bottle and stood inside their soggy shelter to give it to her. I'm sure they'll survive missing one meal. Like their owner who could probably survive missing a week of meals :confused: They are outside now eating grass/weeds and hay. They'll get their pellets again for dinner after I milk Dot. I've tried to go back to bed a few times recently and can't get back to sleep but have no problem dozing in my recliner. Hope the DH is able to get that extra rest DV.

So the radar shows just about all the visible stuff has moved to the east. Still cloudy here though and the sky has some pretty heavy gray to the west. Haven't gone out to check the rain gauge, but we got quite a bit it seems. So I went and checked and we got 1.5". Guess I won't be doing any more mowing until after we've had several dry days. Aside from the bit I mowed yesterday, the entire mowable property needs it now. Despite the fact that pounding T-posts is work, it was substantially easier yesterday due to the previous rain. Though it was hot and humid, it didn't "seem" as bad yesterday... Maybe it was the breeze, or that some of the posts were in the shade, I don't know. I mean I sweat out some serious water, but never really felt "weak" from the heat or anything. Over the course of the afternoon and evening I probably drank near a gallon of water and iced tea.

Anyway, nice to know that the ground should remain soft for quite a while forward after the added rain. Weather forecast after today is 20-30% chance off and on for the next week. The final batch of posts will be fun for another reason: they'll be around big trees and I'm sure I'll have to deal with roots. The last bit is replacing the existing yard fencing and there are already old rusty T posts in place. I'll check and see if I can use them first but believe it will be best to replace them. The power company came a week or so ago to trim the trees around the house that were growing in and around the power lines. I took down some of the barbed wire fencing around the back side of the house so they could drive their bucket truck in for access. They started wiggling one of those T posts to remove it and it snapped off right at ground level, so I know they are old and not that strong. Can't see putting in new fencing on posts that won't outlast it. I'm going to have to replace 3/4 of the T posts in the front pasture as well when I get to that.

Right now I'm kind of tired, stiff, a bit sore, and hungry for something I can't really identify. It's already 2:30 and will be dinner time before too long. Maybe I'll go out to eat again. I'm thinking I would enjoy a steak but too late to thaw one for tonight and don't want to pay for one when I have some in the freezer. I bought some more ears of corn, I think I'll have a couple of those for dinner. Hope everyone has had a great Thursday.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
When ya think about placing the posts around the trees, the further ya place them from the trunk the fewer and smaller the roots are....within 2-3' of the trunk is the root ball/mass and is a very big headache....IMO....hope ya can get some rest, I too have found that "Comfortable" has become an elusive target to hit, so rest when it comes and wherever ya can find it....:)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Joyce doesn't eat much ice cream,

I shouldn't eat much ice cream either but someday I plan on selling goat milk ice cream so I call it "market research". Actually mine will be gelato, I can't call it ice cream as the goat milk doesn't have enough cream to make it legal. My favorite brand to research is Talenti.

Status
Not open for further replies.