Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't agree with one time zone though, that would be a real nightmare. If you're in Vermont and want to do business in Hong Kong, you'd STILL need to be adding/subtracting hours (how? they no longer exist?) and days (International date line) to determine when you could contact them and not be waking them in the middle of the night.
But you DON'T have to do all that, though the day change thing would still hold.
Currently:
"Joe I'll call you at 11 AM". Your first question is "YOUR 11 AM or MY 11 AM?" If one's stated business hours are 1200 to 2000, they you know you can call then. Even if that is the middle of the night for you.

If you live near a time zone change and have reason to contact or go to the next one over, isn't that a PITA? You have to think about what time it is "there", what time does the store open?

I went to a Theatre on Ice competition near Dayton a few years ago. Went through O'Hare. It takes 2 hours to fly from Chicago to Dayton, but on the return trip you land at about the same time as you took off. My in-laws went on a trip to Europe in May, their flight back was 5 hours long according to the tracker. Um, right, a REALLY LONG 5 hours. Clearly the tracker was using arrival time to determine flight hours. Now THAT is confusing.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I like the 24 time zones that exist, and understand the date line. I'm quite alright with all that. I guess I just don't feel the need for govt mandated time changes simply because they've been doing it for so long. Sun up is sun up no matter what a clock says. Same for sun down. Changing folks lives by an hour twice a year is just silly (IMHO) and really no longer necessary since it isn't serving the purpose it was originally instituted for. :idunno

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Now... as long as it doesn't die out, it appears I may be getting a really good bit of rain here in a couple of hours. Looks like @Baymule and @Devonviolet will benefit as well.
upload_2017-10-22_0-41-4.png

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't go to bed until "morning" most nights and the clock has little to do with that. I am night owl and that is probably why I like my long summer nights. I don't get up with the chickens, never have and probably never will so I don't stop working until the sun goes down.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just a bit shy of 2 inches of rain. Really came down hard for a bit. Had some pretty serious lightning, thunder and wind as well when the main front moved through. Guessing that was about 3am. Much needed and grateful. Completely understand the night owl syndrome, suffer from it myself. Compounded by severe sleep apnea and difficulty sleeping in general.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It came thru here as a wild wet front about an hour ago, not a lot of rain, but still raining some and thunder and lightening abound.
Hope it clears out before our VFD appreciation BBQ/fund raiser that runs from 11am-2pm today. I'm going rain or shine. (it was 'kinda wet' the day they came out to get me back almost 2 months ago...I reckon I can return the favor in kind)

Redneck Hippy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I like the 24 time zones that exist, and understand the date line. I'm quite alright with all that. I guess I just don't feel the need for govt mandated time changes simply because they've been doing it for so long. Sun up is sun up no matter what a clock says. Same for sun down. Changing folks lives by an hour twice a year is just silly (IMHO) and really no longer necessary since it isn't serving the purpose it was originally instituted for. :idunno

Totally agree. It's part of the reason I have always hated punching a clock, and why I'm working away from the rigid corporate world and back towards a more natural way of life. My body wakes up with the sun and goes down with the sun, regardless of what clocks and my brain try to tell it :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The storm woke us up at 3 AM with thunder, lightening, hard rain and hail. I need to get up on the roof and look around. We got 2 inches, we sure needed it, nothing here but dust and powdered sand.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are supposed to get some rain/weather Monday aft/eve and into Tues a.m. We had 1.6 inches 2 weeks ago, after over 30 days of no rain, which is NOT NORMAL for us. It helped the spring, plus we moved 7 heifers that I had been breeding AI,out of the place I was hauling water; but then got back 6 heifers that are 18 months and will be bred starting next month; and then no more rain so the spring is down again, and I started hauling water yesterday, again. Moving 3 cows and their bigger heifer calves out to a pasture that has a fair amount of grass still. These cows were bred AI so they will be out with a bull for a month for clean up in case they didn't catch. Since this is the most convenient place for me to watch heats and to breed AI, it is a pain when we get this dry weather and the spring slows down to next to nothing.

Hope we get the 1/2 to 2 possible inches they are forecasting.....then it is supposed to cool off to the 40's nights and 60's days. It is almost November but I am not looking forward to winter much.
Never understood the whole "snowbird going south thing" but I sure do now. I couldn't take the heat during the summers, but am not as enamored of the cold winters here, anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.