Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tying them up seems like a good alternative. :lol:

Not the church ladies!! Won't work! But, I won't tell you mentioned it.:hide

Can work if you give her isolation. If she has no huge benefits for you, sell her & enjoy the calm. Do you think all the kids from this yr, herd size, have made a difference in her? There's always one or two who "rule"....even if you change the numbers and members...but, she's being mean!! She's gone or isolated, your choice.

You know "how ladies are". Hmmmm.....no real explanation

weeks ago of posting that the 2 alpacas always poop outside. They have pooped inside EVERY DAY since :th

JINX....ya gotta watch what you say :lol:

So, your crappy weather is coming along to be my crappy weather tomorrow. Thanks! At least I don't have work scheduled and plan to stay home & complain about it. Been decent today, temps in 40s, will go to 30-32 tonight, snow tomorrow, upper 40's Thurs & upper 50's Fri/Sat. I'll live.:cool:

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw a poster at the nearest convenience store/gas station yesterday.
LOST
Reward.
(picture of a large canine)
"George is a family pet. Grey wolf with collar. Last seen.... blah blah blah"

Just what we need running loose around here.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
As I said, after she kids, I think she's gonna be gone. When I confine her away from the others, they all get along just fine without her. Depending, I may bottle feed her kids from Dot's milk, depending on how many kids she has, and eliminate her earlier rather than later. Will see... Maybe it's a pregnant hormonal thing...
Or genetic. Don't know how behavior is with goats, but I and many others have seen offspring of cattle behave just as bad (or good) as their dam. I've had high heads that their calves were just like their mommas and it's a definite cull factor. Docility (aggressiveness) is also one of the epds we look at.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sold a real nice mare because she terrorized my sweet old gelding, Joe. That's his eye in my avatar. I love that horse and being mean to him was the wrong thing to do. She went out of her way to bite and kick him, he was scared of her. One day a man visiting next door admired her and we struck a deal. Gone.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or genetic. Don't know how behavior is with goats, but I and many others have seen offspring of cattle behave just as bad (or good) as their dam. I've had high heads that their calves were just like their mommas and it's a definite cull factor. Docility (aggressiveness) is also one of the epds we look at.
With goats, I feel that most of it is learned behavior. I have had herd queens dam raise, and their kids would be bossy to the other goats.
But when the kids are pulled immediately they are completely different.

On my earlier post- the doe who was a jerk & broke the leg of another goat is actually the dam of the nervous doe.
Let me tell you, I was about ready to butcher this brat doe (not joking), but waited until after she kidded. She did calm down and is no longer an issue. This was her first pregnancy with us and I think she needed time to calm down.
Having many dam/daughter/granddaughter some traits are just there, but I'd say most if learned from their dam.

It seems does just go through a rough patch where they become total brats. Hormones play a big role.

Our bucks on the other hand... They love their herd!
I had one out yesterday in the breeding pen. Once it started getting dark, the other bucks were screaming for him.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't keep the doe, just sharing a little of our experience. I don't know a whole lot about cattle, but after talking to our local cattle guys there is a huge difference. If she is disrupting the peace and the goats are constantly stressed than selling her might be the best option. I would recommend selling her with a kid, she will not bully her kid and you might be lucky & place her with a family that only needs 2 goats for milk :)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We recently noticed that Falina was standing in the rain, and that Ruby wasn't letting her eat or stay in the goat shed. I asked DH and he is pretty sure this just started since Ruby was bred. So it appears her bullying is more of a hormonal thing. When we finally put Angelica in with the girls (after the wethers went to the butcher), she did not try to nurse, but has taken to hanging out with her Mom (Ruby), and most of the time, they are found cuddling in a corner of the goat shed. It's really sweet!

We couldn't have sweet Falina standing in the cold and rain. So, we put her in the back chicken run, where there is a nice size shelter, that we can put hay in, for a dry, warm place for her to sleep and relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.