Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Present foot wear costs between $10 & $15 depending on how much they're priced at when I need them. Average life span is maybe 3-5 months, depending on what abuse they're put through. So maybe 3-4 pair a year.
So $40-$60 per year. Good quality waterproof will last 2 years+ and you won't have to go out to buy new footwear every few months. In the end quality is cheaper.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
My solution for footwear is lace up boots....they will expand and contract depending on how tight or lose the laces are....if ya want them to be slip-ons them don't lace them all the way up but just below the ankle and loosely tied....I deal with swelling also and circulation problems, too....I like hiking boots for working outside, but use rubber boots when it is really nasty outside.....:)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been wearing a pair of mud boots that was fairly expensive but I have been wearing them for almost 3 years. Most days if it isn't too muddy I have 3 or 4 different styles of boot depending where I'm going in the paddocks so they get rotated.
Pretty much the same here. As long as I can refrain from using my boot as a hammer on the end of my leg, I can get 2-3...'maybe' 4 years out of a pair. It's usually the uppers tho, that I somehow get a hole in. I do not wear any kind of low top work boots.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a pair of boots I had for YEARS. Those things lasted around 12-15 years before the soles came off. I wore them in the winter doing barnwork. They were insulated and waterproof and sure kept my feet dry and toasty. They were actually boys boots size 5 but fit my feet just fine. I dont remember the brand or how much I paid for them but sure got my moneys worth.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, it's now completely overcast and can feel the humidity rising. Said we were supposed to get to 53° today but I think we're done & maxed at 50°

I needed to go get some more pine shavings for the goats so figured I'd hit the grocery as well. My "need" to purchase a gallon of milk and bottle of creamer turned into $50... :confused: Why is it I can't leave wally world for less than $50? :idunno Then swung into TSC and got the pine shavings. The goats now have some fresh bedding added.

They got their first feeding of the new hay this morning. Breaking down an 800 pound bale left a lot on the floor which I swept into a pile. That's what filled their bowls this morning. Though there was a lot of "chopped" blade and stem, there was even more leaf powder. They weren't very happy with me this morning. They kept wanting to check out the other group's bowls to see if it held the "good stuff" I normally feed them. I basically forced them to stay at their own bowls and eat. Love being a "hall monitor" for the goats. o_O Anyway, after adding the new bedding, I brought them down a cereal treat. They had pushed the bowls around, and had pawed at them spilling some of the powder, but they finished virtually all of everything in all three bowls. I'm sure they'll adjust.

I'm really feeling dragged down today... Just tired and want to sleep. Mel came in the house for a while this morning. He and LF were snoring away while I was on here earlier. I had fried up some bacon with 3 eggs over easy for breakfast. So I cooked a dozen fried/scrambled and mixed 1/2 with the last of the turkey and steak scraps for their dinner tonight and gave the other 1/2 split between them topped with some shredded cheese and some milk. My dogs aren't spoiled... nooooo not at all! He's back in the pasture now and LF is out back. He'll be inside again starting tomorrow into Sunday if the weather does as advertised. If it's not pouring, he stays on the back deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.