Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
No freezer burn. They were like this when I bought them as well. That's why I did a crock pot with them. Had hoped that would make some difference. That's also why they were buried at the bottom of the freezer... Eating them now. I was able to pull them apart and they are very "grainy"... like a bunch of toothpicks on the plate. Chew up like toothpicks as well... Very dry.
Nothing worst than disappointing food....

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Making up for it right now RA... Took out a ~20 oz T bone (with a huge piece of loin) a few days ago. Seasoned it up yesterday and left it in the fridge. Just finished pan frying it for breakfast. :drool Still and always prefer rib eyes but these were on sale when I bought them. They're "OK"... but nothing special.

Finished feeding the animals. Gave the goats a bit extra pellets and hay. Figure with the wind and cold, they can use a few extra calories. The BO's have indeed already recommenced eating the last remaining RIR. One hand is now almost totally covered in Blukote. :confused: I'll cull her later this afternoon. :(

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
LS, do the chickens have alot of room to run around in? Sometimes you can get cannabalism in chickens if they are in a small space and dont have anything else to keep thier attention like food, grass, bugs. I had that happen when I first got chickens. Made them a huge fenced in area and had no more problems.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
While coop recommendations for large fowl are min 4 square feet per bird, these 5 had near 100 square feet to live in.

OH, forgot to mention, this morning while I was out watching the goats eat, Elf found and dug out a mole for me! :clap:celebrate Saw him playing "catch" with something small, gray, and furry. Hoped it wasn't a baby rabbit. After he'd chomped it, played toss with it, pawed at it, etc... enough to kill it, he lost interest and walked away from it. When I tried to get it from him while still alive, he was having none of that. He picked it up and carried it around staying out of my reach with it. I'm fine with him killing it. I hope he can find and dig out ALL of them and kill them!

Temp instead of going up or staying steady has already started going down. Was 39 earlier, now 35. Looks like first real appearance of winter.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Seems it is time to get some chicks from Ideal since they are pretty local. Get them now and they should be laying by July.

and will be left with 2 BOs for eggs. They don't eat each other for some reason...
They are racist!

Got close to 80 here today....:)
Pushing the edge of "tolerable"!

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Yeah Bruce, I don't see chicks in my future right now. The damn BOs I have would probably gobble them right up. The final RIR is gone... both BOs gave me an egg this afternoon. Guess the added meat in their diet helped them.

I know you folks to the north and east have it much worse, but it's damned cold and raw here. Was supposed to get to 40 today with clearing and diminishing winds. None of that happened. Now it's down to 32, still dropping. The wind is STILL whipping here, and though it appears to be clearing to the west it's still solid overcast here. Of course with the temp dropping, I'd prefer it to stay cloudy as that will help blanket in the "warmth" vice letting the temp drop even further. Calling for 24° tonight.
upload_2019-1-19_18-47-49.gif
<--- to all of us dealing with it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The wind is STILL whipping here, and though it appears to be clearing to the west it's still solid overcast here.
Clear here, and the wind has abated 'somewhat'. Still dang cold tho because of the wind. Cows are all already hunkered down in the woods on my sister's place adjacent to mine.

I am glad the wet part of the system has already moved off to the east and out of Texas. Wife and I are leaving here sometime between 2am and daylight to spend a day or 2 at her mother's just North of Paris Tx. Going to be colder there than here but now we won't have to worry about icy roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.