Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hope ya have a safe trip/visit GB. Yup, it's a bit chilly here. Clouds moved out overnight and the just past full moon lit everything up real nice so it was easy to see the hard frost on everything. Even though it was cold out this morning (still is), the sun made it feel warmer, couldn't see my breath, and the waterers weren't frozen bricks. Supposed to get to mid 40s today so will go refresh all waterers for the coming cold days...

Found all 3 kids sleeping in a pile in one enclosure this morning. The boy is already big and strong enough to jump over the 20" tall barrier wall. That's good as it means he's almost ready to be set free with his momma. He should be able to get in and out of the mansion. Noticed this morning that Beauty is bagging up and waddling. Probably a single, could be any time. Tomorrow would be good as the next 2 nights are supposed to be above freezing. She hasn't started acting different yet and the main indicators aren't there.

Mel has a case of the crusties... This past summer/fall he developed an irritated area on his back right above his tail and above his hip bones. Got that taken care of to some degree but it never 100% cleared up. He now has it on the top of his head and some spots of it on his face. It's not a single sore, but a "patch" of crusted, weeping sores, almost like mange but not all over. Of course he gets dirt in it and it forms scabby areas with weeping through and around. I've used mane & tail and a sulfur based oil on the tail area and the last of the sulfur and more main and tail on his head. He hates when I apply stuff to him. Gotta get it figured out...

Last edited:

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Its a hotspot. Shave the area if you can and either get some Gentocin from the vet or Neopredef.
My beagle Barney got a hotspot around his collar area once and I had to call 5 different vets to find one who would sell it to me without an office visit. Not sure its still called Gentocin, but you can try.
Important thing is to allow the skin to breath and do NOT use neosporin or something similar. It needs to dry up. Keeping it moist just makes it worse. Dogs with coats like his tend to have that problem. Hope you can keep it at Bay. Ive seen dogs with thier entire body almost covered in a bad hotspot rash. Poor baby.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah. Neopredef is great. Not only is it good for hotspots, but I use it on dogs that get razorburned some cause they have sensitive skin. You dont need to use much, thats for sure.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was sunny and beautiful today! Cold, but SUNSHINE! We shoveled a load of sheep poop into the Kawasaki mule and tossed it on the garden. Then we shoveled two loads on horse manure out of the barn and made a pile close to the garden for some sweet potato bins I want to make. Backing up to unload the second load, the 2WD driveshaft broke. Both u-joints snapped off and a yoke broke. It is now loaded on the flatbed and strapped down. :(

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was sunny and beautiful today! Cold, but SUNSHINE! We shoveled a load of sheep poop into the Kawasaki mule and tossed it on the garden. Then we shoveled two loads on horse manure out of the barn and made a pile close to the garden for some sweet potato bins I want to make. Backing up to unload the second load, the 2WD driveshaft broke. Both u-joints snapped off and a yoke broke. It is now loaded on the flatbed and strapped down. :(
DA@#N that sure wasn't in the plans!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.