Lawnmower

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you or someone you know has an old fashioned reel lawnmower want to get rid of, let me know. I live in Otsego County in NY.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you checked Craigslist? I see them on mine fairly often, ranging in price from $25 to $100. You could also post in the 'Wanted' section of CL asking for one.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't go onto CL seeing how it's an unsecured site. From what I know CL is one that keeps track of what you do online. Some of my family members that live close to me is also trying to help me get one.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't go onto CL seeing how it's an unsecured site. From what I know CL is one that keeps track of what you do online. Some of my family members that live close to me is also trying to help me get one.

You think your browsing history and online activities are safe other places? I know of no website, (especially those with ads) that doesn't use tracking, including this one.

robots.jpg

Next time your computer's antivirus runs a scan, look at the log it creates. It will undoubtedly show dozens if not scores of both 'per session' and 'persistent' cookies. Some are needed to simply add more functionality to the website, most are tracking things you discuss and read so the ads can change to reflect your interests.
You can also watch the lower left corner of your screen as the website and webpage loads and see as the tracking software loads.

googadsdblcl.jpg

byh ads1.jpg

If you read the ToS (terms of Service) of any board you join, it will probably tell you that the website uses tracking.
BYH policy in this regards can be found in the 'HELP' section. (click on the little diagonal arrow that opens 'quick navigation' and you will see this website's cookie information.)
https://www.backyardherds.com/help/cookies

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There are also add on programs for (some) browsers that you can incorporate to help block some or all of the tracking software and scripts (used to track your use/habits). If you notice in the screen shot below, on the right of my top menu bar you'll see an ABP icon and an S with a "do not" symbol over it. The first is my Add Block Plus add on and the second is my No Script add on that I use with my browser; Firefox. The add blocker blocks all adds on sites I visit. the no script has user selectable settings and I have mine set to block all scripts unless I specifically authorize them to run. If you look down at the lower left it says Scripts Partially Allowed, 3/6 and then lists the specific scripts I've allowed to run on this website. One is the main website, the second is for my weather program you can see at the very top of the browser window (looks like a menu bar), and the third is a password security and tracking blocker add on that I use. There are thousands of add ons available. Another one I use is fox clocks, which you see at the very bottom where I can post times from anyplace around the world. I used to use this when I had people as far away as Russia (UTC +2) that I used to call, but now you can see it only has local time (for me) in Dallas Tx, and Greenwich Mean Time (time zone) or Coordinated Universal Time (time standard), which is where all other time zones are based from, in case I do have to call someone in a vastly different time zone (so I'll know what time it is there).

upload_2017-5-23_12-48-53.png

You have to be careful when you authorize scripts to run as there can be other scripts "hidden" inside a script that you authorize. If I were to authorize the/a 4th script on this website, it might say I was running 4 of 12, not necessarily 4 of 6.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Occasionally, I will see a Chrome or Edge popup on a news site that asks to run a script.
It gives options when enabling scripts. "Run once" is the only option I ever choose.

I like Forbes for news and they are kinda picky about ad blockers. They ask that I sign in thru Google or FB, or simply whitelist Forbes (as an exception) in my Kapersky AV provided ad blocker. There are ways around those 3 options which I won't go in to here, but their requests are generally revenue based--websites are not inexpensive to run and maintain and I do hate that we have to run an ad blocker. It does deprive legit website owners of a way to recoup some of their costs.

(some ad blockers don't help page loading. The ad still tries to load, but times out, and others, the ads still load in background but you just never see the actual ad) Sometimes, it takes just as long and just as much processor to block the ad as it would for the ad to load.

If ya right click off to an empty place of this reply, and choose 'inspect' (Chrome) or 'properties' (IE other than Edge) you can see where the ads try to load and how they are blocked.