ldawntaylor - bits and pieces

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi,

First - kstaven every time I see that purple cow I have to wonder are you familar with that poem? I don't remember what it is called but I think part of it goes like this: "I have never seen a purple cow. But I can tell you anyhow I would rather see than be one." I seem to remember there is more to it than that. But my question is do you know the story behind that poem?

In some ways that poem and story behind it tell at least part about who I am and what I like to do when I have time. Family history aka genealogy is one of those hobbies. I need to get my details straight before I go on with that....

Today had an early start. I woke up about 4:30 am. At least 3 hours before my usual time. I enjoy the early mornings just not enough to make myself get up that early. I had the windows open enjoying that 60 degree weather and got to enjoy the birds. Night birds like chuckwills widow (nighthawk family) were settling down for the night and making their "poor will" calls. Bobwhite quails were starting theirs and so were the song birds. I was listening to the hummingbirds chirps and wings as they come to the feeder.

I also heard the dogs barking when the coyotes came through. There are some that come by morning and evening when the creek isn't too high. They come through between my place and my parents place. Sometimes if I notice in time I can catch a glimpse of coyotes or deer as they come to drink. Sometimes I see an opossom or a racoon.

I might see a heron flying to the neighbors pond or geese flying. We have geese year round. The geese that come for the winter go back north in the spring. But more come in from the south and are here until fall.

What does all this have to do with my home and herd? Why these are all things I observe during chore time or when I am out working in the garden.

For now I need to close so I can take care of some of those chores.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Back again,

A few minutes ago I got a potent reminder of something I do not like about the Ouachita National Forest. The area borders on part of the property where I live.

I do not like the snakes! Three types of rattlesnake, cotton mouth, and coral snake are all poisonous and live in this area. There is also a hog nose snake aka puff adder. That one gives me a start every time because at first glance I think it is one of the rattlers. It is not actually poisonous though.

I got brave enough to go back and take a picture. I also forgot to mention the copper head snake. It sometimes breeds with a water moccasin (cotton mouth). That hybrid likes water the way a cotton mouth does but is more agressive like the copper head. It is poisonous like both parents.

There are others that are beneficial. But I still do not like seeing them. There are certainly some memories relating to them though.

I have dewormed my chickens aand checkeed for eggs. So now I need to finish chores. I just needed to calm down a bit from seeing that puff adder. At least I hope that is what it was.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid my brother and I would catch hog nose snakes and keep them for a couple hours so we could scare our friend with them. I hadn't seen one for years until just a few years ago when I walked into my dining room and one was slithering towards me! Momentary panic before I got a close look at him and figured out what he was. Still not sure how he got into the house, but he went along his way and I've not seen him again.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Last year I lost several of my goats so I only have one experienced doe in my herd. I have five first fresheners. During that spring my mom and I were talking. I don't remember how the subject came up but I told my mom that even on a day when a goat needs buried I would rather be "farming" than working at my paying job. The paying job was actually going through a peaceful time.

The how-to books try not to focus on the challenges of this kind of life. The illnesses and injuries, the losses and the culling that has to happen. The hard choices that must be made sometimes. They also don't mention the mundane. Someone else posted about taking care of the animals even when you do not feel like it or don't feel well. That is also something that isn't in those books very much.

One of the biggest challenges to me is going to take care of the animals after a long day at work. Then waking up in time to take care of them before work. Some have families to help with chores. My parents would help if I really needed them to but mostly the chores are my responsibility. Even when I am ill enough to call-in at work my animals still need fed and milked. Their cleaning still needs to be done.

One thing that I don't think gets mentioned at all is that when you take on the care of an animal, or several, you have to take the risk of getting hurt yourself. I cannot count the stepped on toes, scrapes, and bruises. I also have a scar by my eye where I got caught by a goat horn. That scar is less than a fingers' width from my eye socket and there is a dent under the scar.

The full-grown ones are big enough I cannot make them do anything. Their trust in me and their wanting to cooperate is vital to my being able to do what I need to do. I have to work to keep the goats trust. But it is well worth it. Besides remaining calm in spite of their actions is good practice for keeping calm in trying situations at work.

Well enough to wade through for now.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:clap
Today had an early start. I woke up about 4:30 am. At least 3 hours before my usual time. I enjoy the early mornings just not enough to make myself get up that early. I had the windows open enjoying that 60 degree weather and got to enjoy the birds. Night birds like chuckwills widow (nighthawk family) were settling down for the night and making their "poor will" calls. Bobwhite quails were starting theirs and so were the song birds. I was listening to the hummingbirds chirps and wings as they come to the feeder.

I also heard the dogs barking when the coyotes came through. There are some that come by morning and evening when the creek isn't too high. They come through between my place and my parents place. Sometimes if I notice in time I can catch a glimpse of coyotes or deer as they come to drink. Sometimes I see an opossom or a racoon.

I might see a heron flying to the neighbors pond or geese flying. We have geese year round. The geese that come for the winter go back north in the spring. But more come in from the south and are here until fall.

What does all this have to do with my home and herd? Why these are all things I observe during chore time or when I am out working in the garden.

Beautifully written.:clap

These are some of the joys we experience if we are quiet and allow ourselves to embrace the moment. I also love when it is just me and I go out alone EARLY in the morning... the beauty and the peace. Of course that is after all the LGD's realize it is just me and the barking stops. :lol: But after that... yeah just wonderful.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back again,

A few minutes ago I got a potent reminder of something I do not like about the Ouachita National Forest. The area borders on part of the property where I live.

I do not like the snakes! Three types of rattlesnake, cotton mouth, and coral snake are all poisonous and live in this area. There is also a hog nose snake aka puff adder. That one gives me a start every time because at first glance I think it is one of the rattlers. It is not actually poisonous though.

I got brave enough to go back and take a picture. I also forgot to mention the copper head snake. It sometimes breeds with a water moccasin (cotton mouth). That hybrid likes water the way a cotton mouth does but is more agressive like the copper head. It is poisonous like both parents.

There are others that are beneficial. But I still do not like seeing them. There are certainly some memories relating to them though.

I have dewormed my chickens aand checkeed for eggs. So now I need to finish chores. I just needed to calm down a bit from seeing that puff adder. At least I hope that is what it was.
That one looks like a copper head
So if it is a puff adder he is doing a very good imitation

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You were right, and this tells me how close my dog came to being hurt. She was less than 6 inches from that snake when I saw it. I suppose it is just as well I went back for that picture.

I remember my dad being bit by one of those when I was about 5 years old. I guess there are times when their venom is not as strong or something. My family was working at a church summer camp one year. And some of the kids had found a snake and put it in a trash can because that had a lid. Unfortunately they did not empty the trash can first and my dad did not want to just turn the can over to release the snake. And he got bit when he picked it up to move it.

At least he always said it was a copperhead. Dad was really good at just picking and choosing his details when he was telling a story. I guess that is why he was a storyteller and not an oral historian.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here again. My supervisor mentioned eating at the "Purple Cow". I don't know many of them there are, but I remembered the first post in this thread.

Burgess family tradition is that the poem was written by Thornton Burgess. One rainy afternoon he composed that poem to entertain his daughter. It is also said he lamented that the poem was remembered while most of his sermons and other writings were forgotten.

Family history is one thing that fascinates me. Perhaps that same interest that lead me to the tidbit above is also why it could be said that farming at least on a small scale is in the blood. My great-grandfather owned a dairy not too far from here. I often wonder what he would think of the fact that I prefer goats to cows....

For now I need to call it a night. Chores before and after a full day at work makes for a very long day tomorrow.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here again,

I sold the doeling yesterday. The lady that bought her is planning to have her bred later. She wants the kids and milk. Anyway, my herd is down to nine.

On another subject ... I was remembering Laverne and Shirley. They are the very first goats I encountered.

Remember that church camp I mentioned before? Laverne and Shirley were at that church camp as well. I don't remember much about them. No idea of colors, or size, breed or even gender. What I do remember is that they were experts at escaping their enclosure. Frequently my mother, the nature director, would be paged about them escaping. Often I would tag along on the trek to find the goats.

I remember one afternoon in particular. Mom got the page over the intercom and the chase was on. I can still picture Mom walking ahead of me with that racoon hanging onto her shoulder. It was one of those sunny days with a bit of clouds. It started raining while the sun was still shining. I guess that is why I remember that afternoon. I had never seen rain and sunshine in the same moment before.

Those goats and that racoon were just a few of the residents of the nature center that summer.

There is some homemade strawberry icecream calling my name. More later.