Lean hogs

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm wanting to see if there's any feeding programs I should try to get a lean carcass
I have done both the free feed and the hand feed methods both with good results but is there any other program that works for you guys also any type of pigs you think give leaner carcass
Because normally use Yorkshire X also types of feed supplement that might help

elbesta

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My thoughts on lean hogs! :lol: Sorry, had to do that. But, that is just what I am trying to do. First thing I am doing is to not feed corn. With the gmo thing no corn and no soy. Mixing your feed is about the only way to do that. My main mix is peas, lentils and wheat. I am also feeding barley fodder. Feeding peas will make the meat more tender, that should help with having less fat in the meat. I will post in the fall after I bite into my first pork chop.:drool

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would like to see what the final live weight is going to be and what breed and how much feed you use
And if it was more tender using a none corn feed ration and how long it' was on feed
And when I'm done raising my pigs I will post the same thing on this thread and we can compare to see how the results are and possibly get new ideas for the next session

moffitthill

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This might sound goofy to some people but I swear by it... our handful of pigs the 2013 season (get in the Spring and butcher in late Fall ... Late late October... ( a couple were sold at Fair) the quality of our meat is super... our pigs have space to move... over 1/2 acre for the four them... movement builds muscle and burns fat obviously so leaner too. We feed regular pig food supplemented with leftovers and plants that are "done for the season" - corn stalks, brocolli tall stems, a haphazard cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, squash, and more... and dog food... yes dog food... to add protein ... (Note: this manufacturer of both of these foods does not use ethoxyquin as a fat preservative --as found in many products for livestock -- scary stuff banned by FDA for numerous reasons and yet is in livestock milk replacer for babies and used as fat preservative in many other feed)... anyway dog food is good safe way to bump protein as a supplement. Also NOTE: In the Diamond food Chicory Root is a natural prebiotic and contains probiotic and KSND has probiotic for digestive and nutrition absorption health. And both have L-carnitine for leanness. We mix the Salmon food and the Diamond Naturals. At Costco Kirklands signature natures domain Salmon and sweet potato... no corn no soy no wheat and loads of fish protein and fish meal -- overall 24% Protein INGREDIENTS Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, ocean fish meal, potato fiber, pea protein, natural flavor, flaxseed, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid. It is a bit less than $1 a pound at 32.99 for 35#. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy -- overall 27% protein... Ingredients Lamb, lamb meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, oatmeal, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, tomato pomace, potato protein, potatoes, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (source of DHA), salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, dried kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. (or Diamond Naturals Adult Chicken and Rice very close) Both Diamond products about $30 for 40#. Cheaper than human grade lentils... we can't always find lower grade (cheaper) lentils for feeding pigs.
So this may not work for people who are feeding loads of pigs for profit but for those that are raising for personal consumption and want to supplement for great quality pork that doesn't have scary ingredients... it works.

elbesta

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Today is the day! I am going to start butchering today. There are a total of 11 pigs to butcher. 8 of them were born on May 17, and 3 on June 11. The 3 are uncut boars as I was waiting to see witch one I would keep for my new breeder boar. Only 1 boar to start.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Time for more bacon! And did the diet make a deference in your pigs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Reading this with interest as in the spring we want a couple of feeder pigs for the freezer. What about planting for pigs, such as turnips, mangel beets, and planting peas/beans to let them graze on? Has anybody tried that?

elbesta

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At 4.5 months he was 150 lbs. about 1 inch back fat, very lean bacon. Half the pig is in the brine with one ham and the other bacon. Made 25 lbs. summer sausage which will go in the smoker tomorrow. Pork chops and the tenderloins.

I planted 5lbs of mangle seeds this summer but the deer got to them. Peas are great also. If I want the pigs to clean up an area I toss hole peas around and what they don't get they grow.

elbesta

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also I want to add, the 9 that are 5.5 months old range it weight from about 175 to 275 lbs. The runt is still the runt.:idunno Ill try and get some picts.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Looks like you did get some lean meat and goood weights on the ration
You picked. My two pigs I harvested in july that were fed the usual mainly corn/soy ration were 6months old
And weighed live 291 and 309
And were muscled and were lean not as lean as yours but a good lean and
Boy were they hard to keep from gaining fat instead of muscle

Latest posts