leasing my land for hay -- suggested contract details needed

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All,

Many of you may already know this, but I just found a web site that will provide acreage estimates for unusual land plots. I know Google Maps will do this, but this one handles multiple plots. It is provided by my alma mater, Texas A&M, and is called Map My Property. The URL is http://texasforestinfo.tamu.edu/mapmyproperty/index.html. It handles more than just Texas, as I was able to map my property in western Arkansas. In using the tool, one thing I learned is that I have a good bit less pasture for hay production than I thought. Of the five fields that can produce hay, one is 16.1 acres, one is 9.8 acres, one is 10.3 acres, one is 2.3 acres, and one is 1.1 acres, for a total of 39.6 acres. 20180914_1558_map_my_property.JPG It does not include the 5 acres we set aside for quail/butterfly habitat west of the house, nor does it include the overgrown pastures. Still, I am shocked that I was off by a magnitude of 2. I got the estimate of 80 acres from the legal description for the different tracts of land and added up the estimated parts for pasture. So I guess need to recognize that fact when I negotiate the lease. But I wanted to tell you folks about this web site, in case you didn't know about it, in hopes that it would help you.

Senile Texas Aggie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is not surprising to me that you have less available land than you thought for pasture/hay. Your actual land by the deed is one thing, the open areas look alot bigger than the wooded areas and mapping from the sky really can open your eyes to actual size of the open land. The one and 2 acre pieces will be less than desireable due to their placement and shape and the getting in and out with larger pieces of equipment. Believe me, we have several that are a PIA to hay that are in the 1-3 acre size; just getting in and out of gates would make a minister cuss. But I would again, get the soil samples back, talk to the extension/county agent about possible prospective farmers to lease, and go from there. You may even have to advertise it.
One thing, if you don't keep it mowed, it will QUICKLY revert to brush land then to scrub trees then to woods. I think you have seen that just in the areas that you have cleared out for your own use.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @farmerjan,

You are absolutely right about keeping the pasture mowed. As soon as I can get my tractor back from having the grapple installed, I will be using the grapple to clear out the brush and sapplings along the edge of the field, and then use the shredder to cut back the grass to be more manageable. (Would you believe the overgrown pastures that I cut are already looking overgrown again! UGH!)

I will post the results of the soil sample reports once I get them back, and see what you folks think.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Senile Texas Aggie

Latest posts