Leasing pasture from neighbor?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
That parcel didn't turn into a hay field all by itself
Let me expound on that part.
S_Y, I'll be honest. I took my property from a primeval forest and turned it all into pasture, or at least 65 acres of it. I know what it takes to do this in $$, time, equipment, sweat and blood. It's easy for someone to look at a grassy parcel, and think, "I wonder if he would lease me a little of that for a hobby farm?"
If someone were to come to me with the option you seek, I'd probably laugh in their face. That parcel has woods on part of it, and that wooded part wants to expand every year. It's a never ending task to keep it from doing so, not to mention (again) what it took to clear it off to begin with. I'm not at all keen on letting someone glean benefit from all I had to do without a heck of some kind of compensation for what I went thru.
And, in my part of Texas, not many landowners have any interest at all in seeing hobby farms springing up all over what used to be beef cattle country..or worse, productive cotton, corn, rice and soybean fields. We have already seen almost all the big dairies of East Texas turn into little 'ranchettes" complete with "El Rancho Grande" and "Lonesome Dove" type signs over the entrance way, a family cow or 2 and a handful of goats.
Maybe it's a Texas thing, but it is outright depressing to see Greater East and West Houston Metroplex take what used to be some of the most productive cattle & crop land anywhere along the coast as well as the expansive rice fields East of Baytown for condos and suburban sprawl. Along I-10 East, there is now a huge subdivision named Wilburn Ranch, that when I was a teenager, I worked cattle on as it was a working cattle ranch of thousands of acres by the same name.

Swamp_Yankee

Just born
Reaction score
S_Y, I'll be honest. I took my property from a primeval forest and turned it all into pasture, or at least 65 acres of it. I know what it takes to do this in $$, time, equipment, sweat and blood. It's easy for someone to look at a grassy parcel, and think, "I wonder if he would lease me a little of that for a hobby farm?" If someone were to come to me with the option you seek, I'd probably laugh in their face. That parcel has woods on part of it, and that wooded part wants to expand every year. It's a never ending task to keep it from doing so, not to mention (again) what it took to clear it off to begin with. I'm not at all keen on letting someone glean benefit from all I had to do without a heck of some kind of compensation for what I went thru.
And, in my part of Texas, not many landowners have any interest at all in seeing hobby farms springing up all over what used to be beef cattle country..or worse, productive cotton, corn, rice and soybean fields. We have already seen almost all the big dairies of East Texas turn into little 'ranchettes" complete with "El Rancho Grande" and "Lonesome Dove" type signs over the entrance way, a family cow or 2 and a handful of goats.

So first things first, I guess I was a little confused about what this site was about. I figured the term "Backyard Herds" meant hobby farming types of operations-if that kind of thing is frowned upon here that's fine, I just wasn't aware. Second, Baymule's recommendation is well taken with regard to listing my location, etc...in my profile. I think the circumstances out here are markedly different. I'm located in Hunterdon County, NJ. Hunterdon is one of the most rural counties in NJ, but it in no way compares to Texas. The hayfield next to my property has likely been cleared for over 200 years at this point. My house and the farm next to me were all once part of a third farm (now much smaller) that dated to the 1780s and included some 600 acres. My neighbor, who owns the hay farm sold his development rights to the state. This preserves the land forever as farmland as a deed restriction is placed on it which does not allow development. Preserved farmlands and hobby farms are all that is left of what originally earned us the title of "The Garden State."

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Backyard farming and hobby farming is indeed what this site is predominately 'about' and in no way is it frowned upon, but BYH is not restricted only to people involved in that type endeavor.
Fact is I'm on 2 other ag boards where I would certainly be considered a 'hobby farmer' even tho USDA and IRS says otherwise because I meet the criteria set forth by those agencies.

Swamp_Yankee

Just born
Reaction score
Backyard farming and hobby farming is indeed what this site is predominately 'about' and in no way is it frowned upon, but BYH is not restricted only to people involved in that type endeavor.
Fact is I'm on 2 other ag boards where I would certainly be considered a 'hobby farmer' even tho USDA and IRS says otherwise because I meet the criteria set forth by those agencies.

Fair enough-I just wanted to make sure I was in the right place. Hopefully there is some way the landowner and I can come to an agreement that benefits us both. If not, maybe there is some other way to achieve what we want. I've learned a lot through this thread and look forward to learning more here.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck with it.
Don't know how well you are acquainted with your neighbor, but it is even possible, he would be willing to help you out in this matter in exchange for some labor, or looking after the place in regards to security, (notifying him if something seems 'amiss' over there). You never know until you approach him with the idea.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Swamp_Yankee...first welcome from VIRGINIA. It's a lot different on this coast than the grand state of TX! Now, GB is extremely knowledgeable is so very many things, it's downright scary sometimes. :) His advice is always spot-on for procedure. Carefully approach the owner/neighbor.

While the points he brings up are very real and sincere, the state of NJ is way different than TX. His direction of talking with the owner is more than a valid point! You just never know :idunno Yes the owner may be in a situation that limits him, or not. Give it a shot.

So, we are all interested in what transpires for your dreams...be sure to keep us posted on your progress. Most of us are "hobby farmers" and/or "small sized farmers" -- yep, we do understand you, your hopes & dreams -- and love having you here with us!!

My children didn't want to be 4Hrs, sadly. I did and never had the chance. So I spent many years developing a farm to fulfill my OWN dreams....which occasionally become "nightmares". :D =D

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
My children didn't want to be 4Hrs, sadly. I did and never had the chance. So I spent many years developing a farm to fulfill my OWN dreams..
One of the things you can do to offset or satisfy your 4H 'hunger', is donate one of your animals to 4H..that is, ask your county agent to find a kid that would like to raise one..perhaps even show it..but can't afford the initial purchase price. I've done it previously and will be doing so again pretty quickly with a bovine.
Obviously, it would likely need to be a younger animal so the youngun can handle it, which where the 'raise' part of it comes in. All you'll get out of it is whatever satisfaction you might from seeing your name as 'breeder' but that's plenty. (as well as knowing inside, that you did something nice for a young person..usually a complete stranger)
One of mine that was a donation:
(not sure why the software loaded the image twice)

Attachments

• DanekBowen_grey_calf.jpg
    DanekBowen_grey_calf.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 94
  • DanekBowen_grey_calf.jpg
    DanekBowen_grey_calf.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 93

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am a hobby farmer with 8 acres. If the landowner does not want to lease you his land, maybe you can further develop your 2 acres. You might have to give up on having cows as 2 acres isn't enough. But there is a lot you can do on 2 acres!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Actually, 2 acres in NJ might be enough to raise a calf up to 4H show age and most 4H animals are auctioned off if I'm not mistaken, so it would be gone before it was an issue. Some additional feed supplementation might be required, but it would be tough to do that along with horses and any other large herbivore livestock on that small a place.

Hope you'll let us know how it all works out for you SY.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually GB, we loaned mini horses to kids to show, already trained for them sometimes. Depended on what the child needed and could do. Plus we did a lot of farm gatherings for 4Hers & scout troops; and presented animals at some of their activities, participated in many parades, etc. Yep, very active and they LOVED the smaller sized horses and donkeys. :D Several of ours were taken to nursing/retirement homes on a regular basis during warmer weather.