Leg Injury In Mare

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My 19 yr QH Mare today has hurt herself. She pivots a lot in her pasture. The best we can figure from the scraps and cuts on her face is that she pulled, sprained, or tore something in the upper part of her hind leg. She is swollen from the hock up to her stifle on her right side. It does not feel like any bones have been broken. Any tips or advice on ways to help reduce the swelling in that particular area would be greatly appreciated. Would it be beneficial to get her in her stall in a sling so that she is not putting weight on it?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rub down with a good liniment. I sure wouldn't put her in a sling. Maybe stall her for a few days, but I wouldn't keep her cooped up very long. Do you have a small pen or corral? I am in the camp that believes a little movement is better than confined in a stall. Use 2-3 gloves to put the liniment on.

A neighbors horse once had an injury like what you described. They were out of town so I went over every day to rub the liniment on her. One day I couldn't catch her and she ran away. Good! She recovered enough to run when she saw me coming with the liniment. :lol:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, limited but not total constraint. I like Absorbine Jr. In fact, use it myself. If you have any banamine, that would help as a fast, temporary relief for day 1. Still liniment.

Bute can be harsh on stomach, if used very long. Buteless is good -- has cat's claw in it, so not for use on a pregnant mare.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, limited but not total constraint. I like Absorbine Jr. In fact, use it myself. If you have any banamine, that would help as a fast, temporary relief for day 1. Still liniment.

Bute can be harsh on stomach, if used very long. Buteless is good -- has cat's claw in it, so not for use on a pregnant mare.
Is buteless ok for short term??

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do have a smaller pasture. The trick is though it's a bit of a walk out the big one into the smaller one. She stays in one small spot. She went down last night but hobbled back up after a good long rest. No sling it is then. Might try to get her to hobble over to her stall. I'll put fresh shavings in it first. Get everything nice and cozy. It's pretty big. Two horses fit comfortably so she will have plenty of wiggle room.

What kind of linament would I need. I've been doing cold therapy for the swelling. (Cold water from the hose) started with a cold towel this am.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok. Absorbine massaged into every muscle. She is wobbling around a little. Gave a bit of Bute-Less. She feels better and showed her appreciation in head nods and smiling at me. Going to try and move a small amount tomorrow.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be careful with the Buteless-not because it will hurt her, but because you don't want her to be pain free and hurt herself. I have a gelding that I have used Buteless on for the past year. Not every day, but fairly often. It hasn't hurt him.

While you want your mare to be comfortable, you don't want her totally pain free. She could hurt herself worse if there isn't a little edge to the pain. Rub her down good, give her the Buteless and keep an eye on her. She is not likely to feel GREAT any time soon, so probably not a problem. Anyhoo, that's just my two bits worth.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes. I only gave her a small amount. Just less than recommended. More to help ease the soreness from holding up. Not to mask by any means. I just gently gave her a full body with the absorbine gel. The skin today didn't feel as tight. And veins that popped are no longer roadmaps on her muscles in any of her legs. I'm hoping this can do the trick. :fl. Whatever is best for her but I'm with her 100%