Leg Injury In Mare

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for asking. It's been an absolute roller coaster of a week. Rose is doing better. The linament and cold water treatments with Epsom soaks are doing wonders. She is much more mobil. Still has weeks of healing but she will mend. Our dog whelped a couple of nights ago. Hopped on the bed to let me know she was in labor about 2 am on the 31st. By 8 am she has 7 beautiful and healthy pups. Didn't lose any. She did phenomenal giving birth and is such a good momma.

Bad news. Our rescue that almost didn't make it out of QT went down. He colicked fast and hard. That was an awful way to end a stressful week. He was old and although he was putting on good weight he wasn't strong enough to stand the pain. He took a piece of my heart across that rainbow bridge.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about the old guy. I've heard that the really, really painful colics usually involve twisted loops of bowel, and even if you are willing to deal with the surgery and aftercare, the results often aren't good. Though this last chapter of his life was way too short, at least he got to live it with people that cared.:hugs

But good healing vibes on the mare, and congrats on the pups!:thumbsup

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@MatthewsHomestead - Very sorry, firstly, to hear of your loss. We've lost horses to colic and it's such a hard thing- no matter the situation or the circumstance, losing an animal friend is hard. But hey, you RESCUED a horse. That deserves credit in itself, for having the heart to give him a good home during this time. Sending prayers for healing.

Glad to hear of Rose recovering and doing better, and all the new pups- congrats!

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It hurts so much. We lost him yesterday and today we are having to make calls to have him picked up. I feel like I'm arranging a funeral. We are going to cut off tail hair when we go over in a few to make bracelets for his memory. Nature Boy is sad that his friend is gone.

Rose is spoiled. She is ready daily for her rubdowns. Ill be moving her over to the pasture when she is healed all up because her and NB were inseparable. She can lift his spirits but for now she is in the "sick bay". I love each and every horse but Rose is my rock out of all of them.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry you lost the old guy :hugs Here at "geriatric acres" I count noses each day and watch the amblings for any issues. Mine are all old, I feel your pain. BUT as Bay said, he was given love until the end. Believe me, he knows that and will see you one day -- running free and healed. :love

So, did I miss the puppy pics ? :hide

Maybe you could take Rose on a lead and walk her to NB, they could talk for a few and it may reassure him. Oldersters don't take loss well...he may just need a nuzzle.:)

Latest posts