Legal question

Danceswgoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello Every one, first time here and already with a question, hope someone can help. We have goats in Braddock Heights, Frederick county MD, I found out I might have to file for an exemption to have goats in my property (no issues with anyone yet) and that something I could use advise on as well but my question is in regards to this particular; there is a old standing building already in the property that has been used many times to raise livestock and I wonder if this means it will grandfather permission since this was already granted long ago, any advise one this?

Btw we have 4 Nubian mix goats that are very lovely and spoiled, hope to finish training them to be milked soon.

Thanks, EZ.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every state is different and counties, and towns, can also add their own rules/laws. Some of the grandfather laws are funny, but in MANY cases, once a property is grandfathered in, then it is allowed. However, there are some places that state that the grandfather laws only apply if the land/property in question has had "continuous" livestock use on it. You really need to find out what applies for your state and area. Alot of that you can do online. You would have to find out the statutes for your state. While researching some stuff for us with an issue we are having, I found alot of information for our state, and then the county ordinances. Good Luck.

Danceswgoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, I tried looking for the public records for my property online but I cant anything related to my intended search yet, would there be a way for me to find out if a permit for livestock was issued in the past?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't look for public records for your property specifically. Look for the statutes concerning the laws for your state and county or town. The only way to find out if anything has been issued specifically for your property is to go to your town hall or where they keep the deeds etc., and ask or search from there. I am talking about finding out what is allowed, or not allowed for your county in the general statues.
Are you sure they are specifically not allowed? If there are not specific statues prohibiting them, there is no need for a permit to have them. If your property has a restricted covenant on it, then you probably will not be able to have them. That is something that is put on the property by a previous owner. Often times it is done when a property is divided up into building "lots", like a farm that is subdivided. Deed restrictions are on the recorded deed. But laws governing the property as far as uses, are in the statutes.

Danceswgoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply and yes I did look up the local laws and I would be allowed to have goats if I am approved after applying for an exemption. I'll be happy to do that since I want to keep my goats however what I am trying to do is find out if the property was used for that in the past since I read in the local code that once a property is approved for this purpose or exemption it stays with the property indefinitely and that would be much better in our case. The property has a building that was used for animals with feeders and everything else including shelter and it has been there for over 30 years I am sure by the looks of the materials they used. I guess I'll just have to make my way through the local zoning and permitting office and find out for sure.Thanks EZ.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, now I see where you are coming from. I am not sure where to tell you to go except for the local planning or zoning. Except that all those actions are recorded in their minutes of their meetings. Your best bet might be to check with newspapers for reports of local zoning laws and exceptions... I know ours is listed when the meetings are and what the zoning board is taking up at the meeting. Maybe check the deed, see with each recorded owner, if there were any applications made with planning and zoning shortly after each change of deed. Sometimes it makes the newspapers...as a "big deal " concession to allow chickens in a residential area... you know the new thing of allowing 4 or 6 hens, no roosters, all this stuff....
Good luck with your search.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, how did you find out you MIGHT have to file for a exemption ? ....if nobody has come to you and mentioned anything, ....and you already had animal shelter on the property....why bother opening up a possible can of worms ? Enjoy your goats and property.... unless trouble comes your way, why go looking for it ? Hugs to you and your goats :):hu

Danceswgoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply I will look at the deed and check to see if there is record of any applications being met in the past do you have livestock in the property which I am sure they did have since I have contact with the previous owner and he told me he had a horse and a llama but the neighbors usually don't bother each other in this area since it is still far from the city and kind of rural. I do get along well with my two neighbors an hour houses aren't even close.
I found out about this law to file for an exemption because it crossed my mind the idea to check unfortunately after the fact of having goats and I found that there actually is a law for that and that one can apply and get the exemption. I would like to file for that just to feel better, but I want it do you see first if I can prove that the property was already allowed or applied to have livestock that would be key for me I believe it will allow me to keep the existing building that was originally set up for that and really the only thing we have is hens and goats I don't think we can handle anyone else.
Thanks everyone for the advice we're going to have babies soon I hope I can get my goats did let me milked them this time we are already trying to get them used to there are udders being handled. Thanks EZ

wayneleake

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm lucky, as where I live there are no permits required.
Regarding milking goats, it helps if they get used to being handles as young as possible. I raised one who was fine with it, because I handled her from a baby.
So she was no problem. My herd queen as maybe 2 to 3 when I got her, but after a short while, she was okay with being handled and milked.
Most of the ones I had were okay, except one named Sissy. You could handle her in almost any way, but don't tough her udder or teats.
Never know,
mine were Boer and BoerX, with the first batch being maybe saanen mix, no Boer except my her queen. I raised a Boer buck from her, and he was easy to handle. I got him and his twin brother used to being taken for walks on leads.
All of the ones now are Boer and BoerX, being 3/4 Boer for the crosses.
I can't do as much with them now, due to health problems.
COPD and other things.
I try to interact with them as much as I can.
Most, except for the ones from the last 2 kiddings, will come to me to get scritches, and see if I have any treats.
We have one Brat now, as her mama totally ignored her after birth. May have cleaned her up, but it's possible Sissy may have done that. She is, of course, way people friendly.
I wanted to get a Nubian Boer X into the herd, so I could get more milk.
I only got small amounts from the ones I did milk, with my her queen giving the most. I saved up till i had enough to make a small batch of cheese.
The kind that turned out best was a Feta type.
I even added some herbs and other seasonings to the last batch of that kind I made. Tried making farmhouse cheddar, but it did not develop the flavor, and turned out too hard. I let it dry too much before I waxed it. I still have most pf that, good for grating. Oddly enough, it has not gotten mold of any kind since I cut part off to try it.

Wayne WA2YNE
Pecos County TX

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Inquire, but do so as discretely as possible if you even think about skirting whatever statutes the state or local govt may have in place.
1. The nearest extension agent would be a start, to find out exactly what restrictions may be in place.
2. The county taxing authority should have records on your property's past qualifications for exemptions. Some states and counties, those records are available on-line, some states and counties they are not. Here, that taxing authority is called The Appraisal District.

I'm very much in favor of following all laws and ordinances and tend to take a long view on things of this nature. It is best that you establish your exemption with whatever the jurisdiction is, than just plowing ahead without it. Far better than surreptitiously proceeding with whatever endeavor you are pursuing, only to be told later that you're in violation and have to find homes for your animals..or even pay a fine. In addition, if you do establish exemption, it legally cements that exemption in place for both yourself and just as importantly, for the benefit of future owners of the property.
(I'm not much on kicking problem cans down the road for someone else to handle.)

I have often heard people say "It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission" but you will note it doesn't say anything at all about actually receiving that forgiveness, (just how easy it is to beg for it) and local boards and councils are loathe to set precedent for individual cases, as it opens a slew of problems for that council.
Good luck with it.