Legal troubles regarding escaped cattle? *UPDATE*

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SweetDreams said:
I don't know about anyone else here...

But I'd like to know where this happened.

Care to share?
Central Pennsylvania. Northwestern Juniata county, I think? Pretty much right smack in the middle of the state.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay *UPDATE*!!

They did NOT end up settling out of court. They allowed these people to continue with their frivolous lawsuit.

Since then, the old farmer has died, which left his poor old wife who was just in and out of the hospital with health problems to deal with this mess.

The whole thing went to court and they had a JURY TRIAL!! The farmer's wife had many other farmers in the area show up as character witnesses on her behalf. I don't know any details of the trial. All I know is that SHE WON! She's off the hook!

Its a huge relief that justice was served. She was not at fault and I'm so glad these people weren't able to unfairly profit off of her. Its just a shame that the people who filed this lawsuit aren't required to pay back the old ladies legal fees for filing such a ridiculous claim in the first place? That would be justice!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear your bro's FIL died, but relieved to hear his wife won!! Now she should counter sue THEM for $35,000 worth of pain, suffering, and lawyer's fees!!!

Royd Wood

Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I'm sorry to hear your bro's FIL died, but relieved to hear his wife won!! Now she should counter sue THEM for $35,000 worth of pain, suffering, and lawyer's fees!!!
X 2 - go get em, someone tried it with me a good few years ago and it got thrown out of court but it makes you so ill esp when you know their lying through their teeth

Thanks for the update dianneS

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sad to hear your bro's FIL died, but glad his wife won! Those people... Ugh, DISGUSTING! Their kid should be in Juvy (sp?) !!!!!!

His wife should counter sue. My friend was sued by her crazy neigbor (he was crazy) and anyone supporting him wasnt right. Anywho, she got the most expensive lawyer she could (i think he was $300 an hour?) cause she knew she would win, and she did, so he payed all the fines. Might seem mean to ruin him like that, but he was crazy, and needed to be n jail (pretty sad when your on a first name basias with the cops cause the some so much). Im pretty sure she counter sued, and won. That poor mans wie needs the money if she counter sues, even if it is to just pay the fines.

ourflockof4

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Although not totally related to this, just a small word of wisdom I would like to pass along. In may areas you can get a farm rider on your homeowners insurance policy for a very reasonable price. I think our was something like $65/year. It basically extends your home liabiltlity to anything farm related. I dont remember all of the exact details, but I think it covers you to farm up to 50 acres, and within 15 miles of your home farm. Although it is geared more for small farmers, it would also cover individuals with livestock. It isn't a commercial farm policy that will cover equipment, animals, or product, but it will cover your liability for anything you, your animals, or kids may do.

Talk to your local insurance provider, I think ours is called a "incidental farm policy". IMO it is very cheap insurance for what it does.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
ourflockof4 said:
Although not totally related to this, just a small word of wisdom I would like to pass along. In may areas you can get a farm rider on your homeowners insurance policy for a very reasonable price. I think our was something like $65/year. It basically extends your home liabiltlity to anything farm related. I dont remember all of the exact details, but I think it covers you to farm up to 50 acres, and within 15 miles of your home farm. Although it is geared more for small farmers, it would also cover individuals with livestock. It isn't a commercial farm policy that will cover equipment, animals, or product, but it will cover your liability for anything you, your animals, or kids may do.

Talk to your local insurance provider, I think ours is called a "incidental farm policy". IMO it is very cheap insurance for what it does.
I looked into one of these once, and was told it only covered damages done by farm related events and animals on MY property.
IOW, if a neighbor is here and gets kicked by one of my cows or bitten by my geese, I'm covered. One of my cows gets out on the highway, a bicyclist hits it and kills the cow and suffers a cut lip, bent rim, and skinned elbow, I'm liable for the bent rim, cut lip and scraped elbow..

(Yep--how DOES a 4 wheeler kill a steer and live to tell about it and sue?)

I'm so very glad this worked out for the widow of the man that didn't own the steer that got out of someone else's pasture and fence that was hit by an underage driver operating an unregistered and unauthorized vehicle on a public road.

What a screwed up mess.
I think I'll just stay in Texas and take my chances with the Chupabra.

kfacres

Reaction score
Each state should have a fence law-- would be a good thing for you to find and read just for the heck of it...

Good, farmer oriented insurance companies should also cover these types of things- atleast our does.

Latest posts