Lethargic Doe

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a female goat who is around 4 months pregnant that on a normal day is loud, extremely active, and eating healthy. She has started to become very lethargic- laying around with her head tucked most of the day. She is rarely vocal, and her appetite has declined ALOT. Poop still looks good and is pelleted with no diarrhea. Does this sound familiar to anyone, or any advice on helping her get better? I really hate to see her like this- thank you for any help.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quite possibly Pregnancy toxemia.
Take her temperature.

If it is Pregnancy toxemia you need to call your vet immediately. She will need calcium and propylene glycol as well as filling her with probios.
Once they go off feed or if they are not getting up it is very critical and needs vet care asap.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with SBC.

You need to check the parasite count as well. She can have normal pellets and be infested with worms.

What do her lower eyelids look like? Do you have a FAMACHA card to compare?

You need to talk to your vet.

A lethargic pregnant doe is an emergency.
It's easy for them to go downhill quickly.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with all above posts.

Temp is most important it tells you a lot.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry to reply so late....before we could do anything she ended up giving birth. It was very small with undeveloped hooves and no teeth. It only lived a short while. It's late now but I felt her stomach and I am wondering if there is another one there or not?

If she lost one, is there a possibility of carrying a second one full term? Would she lose it too? I don't understand what happened. This was her first pregnancy and we are just really heartbroken...

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your news. Thats always hard to accept.
I would monitor her temp.
It would be good to consult with a vet as well. She may need to be treated with meds to get her system cleaned up properly. When I'm not sure its worth paying a pro to get me and the animal thru okay.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the baby, I have had that happen a few times. It is possible to carry a second kid to term but not common at all. I hoped for that last year with one of my does but it didn't happen. Has she delivered the afterbirth?