Let's Look at our Different Feeding Practices *GOATS*

WinterValleyFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
For Nigerian Dwarfs the ratio for the c & p how will you know what's the right ratio?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a common misconception. It is not the amount of Calcium but the ratio between the Ca and the Phosphorous that is important. Alfalfa is a great feed for them, but don't feed wheat hay, it is exactly what you don't want...very high P and very little Ca. I learned that the hard way. Everyone I know in CA that raises goats feed their bucks and wethers alfalfa, it is cheaper here than grass hay and they do well on it.

You can also get minerals for the boys that have Ammonium Chloride added, but you don't want to feed that to the does full time. It won't hurt if they get into it but I have read that it isn't good for does full time, don't really remember why they said that.

@Goat Whisperer or @Southern by choice can you please post that link to the article on urinary calculi, I can't find it in my favorites.

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay I no this may sound weird. But does anybody live in Texas, that can give feeding recommendations.. Please

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bowman85, I'm in North Central Texas and here is how I feed my goats: the bucks, wethers, and pregnant does who are not giving milk get Red Chain Goat Grower pellets, all the hay they want, the pregnant does get alfalfa too and all get loose minerals with copper (Ragland Goat Builder Mineral). The does in milk get Red Chain Milking Ration plus hay plus alfalfa and minerals. The does in milk also get the fruit scraps from breakfast.

Both of the Red Chain feeds are by weight and my goats get a little less than the directions say because the does also get some wheat berries on the milking stand and everyone gets some BOSS.

I dry lot so we bring in branches every so often for the goats to browse,

Hope that was helpful. If you have any questions please feel free to let me know! We try to help and not confuse.