Let's play guess how many - they're here! puppies

How many puppies do you think she will have?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 7.7%

Votes: 7 53.8%

Votes: 2 15.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I should specify that we had zero intentions of getting livestock at that point in our lives.... Yep. as of last year I had zero clue we could have goats on our small property and zero knowledge of them :hide Only thought we would get them when and if we ever got more land. HA! Now I need an LGD but Rumely is my husband and mines little boy who we intended on having as a house pet... SHame on us... but I don't know if either of us could give that up if he doesn't choose to give it up himself... and boy, doe he choose what he wants like a pyr at times :gig Most of the time it is the Bernard that is there. Lately I have been reassuring his barking by taking him out to check it all out and then he calms down. I would hate to scold him for doing what he is supposed to do and teach him it is wrong. Excessive barking is not tolerated (we have a VERY vocal collie in stella) But his is usually if he hears or sees something, like a leaf or the light next door through the trees, so I praise him and walk outside with him praising him. I "think" it has helped things along a bit.... He started off very unsure when he would bark and would pee a little.... :eek: Yep, that BIG boy is a BIGGER baby :lol: NOW, however, he is confident and I can tell his unsure if something is there bark from his there is something there bark and react accordingly. Like bring a gun with when I walk him outside... :thumbsup But then he has moments of reverting back to his big baby mentality and will pee and get scared. We are working through it slowly.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Training! If he's there to watch/"assist" with kidding, and help clean them with momma goat, and bond with them, I'll bet you wouldn't be able to pull him away from them! I'll bet the St. Bernard part of him is what held him back... when you described his actions above, I was thinking what is she talking about "failed LGD?" You've got a keeper!
Yes. LOL he does have his glorious moments. But he seems to have many more bernard moments and I agree, it has held him back. :barnie Like running into goats full speed ahead due to wanting to play and doing "zoomies" around the yard. Thankfully the goat was not harmed but if it were a younger one, it would have been bad. It is all training. Everytimg a not so great habbit comes along, we find a solution. Haven't found one for the poop eating yet, but maybe one day we will o_O

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, he's a big handsome lug regardless, and if he is protective and loves all you guys and vice versa, it's all good!

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Well, he's a big handsome lug regardless, and if he is protective and loves all you guys and vice versa, it's all good!
I am with you. He makes a great pet right now with hints of LGD. I have hope now but we were told he was what they refer to as an LGD fail by people around here. Most of his siblings are phenomenal at it though! We will be happy even if he can help train in new dogs on proper behavior. He has never corrected anything before the GSD he just gets walked over by everyone and pushed around but he has it in there :celebrate

samssimonsays

Reaction score
I know Stella corrects him if the rabbits are out in the yard and he is too excited. She will jump down his throat. Funny, she does it with the rabbits and goats but not the puppies huh? Although She gives subtle warning signs for him with them.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like fatherhood is very good for Rumely, he's finally growing up. I have known several St Bernard's over the years that never did seem to grow up. Stella is obviously seeing it, too, and adjusting her behavior accordingly. You never can tell, @Latestarter may be right. If he assists with the kidding and bonds with those kids, the father in him might be what it takes to bump him over the top to great LGD. I guess that, like with everything else, we'll just have to wait and see.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
If any of them were to be called stella jr, itd be miss sadie.... wowzer is she like momma personality and sass wise lol.

And yes! We won't be having kids until spring of 2017 so we will have to wait and see! Both dogs will be "helping" with the kidding and we will be working with them on proper manners with fresh baby goats as these ones seem to play more with the dogs because they are bigger and older lol.